Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are payments for people on a low income who may need help towards the cost of their rent or council tax.

About Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Universal Credit has rolled out to all postcodes in Wolverhampton.

Customers of working age and some mixed age pensioner couples who would have made a new claim for Housing Benefit now need to apply for the housing element of Universal Credit.

However, there are some exceptions where a new claim for Housing Benefit can still be made:

A. Living in specified/supported accommodation.

B. Living in temporary accommodation.

C. Receiving a Severe Disability Premium in any of the following legacy benefits when you make your claim for Housing Benefit:

  • Job Seekers Allowance (IB),
  • Employment and Support Allowance (IR),
  • Income Support,
  • Housing Benefit


To qualify, you also need to be in receipt of one of the following disability benefits and live alone (or be classed as living alone) and no one must be in receipt of Carer’s Allowance or the UC Care Element for caring for them:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component at the middle or higher rate
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component at the standard or enhanced rate
  • Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

Where the customer is no longer entitled to SDP then they would have to make a claim for Universal Credit.

If you meet one or more of the exceptions (A, B or C) above, continue to apply for Housing Benefit by selecting the "Make a claim" link below.

Mixed Age Pensioner Couples after 15 May 2019

Changes to the way that couples are treated for Housing Benefit and Pension Credit when one member is over the age for Pension Credit and the other member is under Pension Credit age (known as 'mixed age' couples) are coming in from 15 May 2019.

For information on the age when you qualify for Pension Credit see - Check state pension age.

From 15 May 2019 the age of the youngest member of a couple will determine whether they qualify for Housing Benefit and Pension Credit. In most cases this will mean the couple will need to claim Universal Credit instead.

Benefits Calculator

You can still claim working age Housing Benefit if either of the exceptions (A, B or C) apply to you.

Make a Housing Benefit and or Council Tax Support claim

Universal Credit does not include help towards paying your Council Tax.  If you are on a low income and you wish to apply for help to reduce your Council Tax bill, please apply by clicking the on the link below.

For more information about what benefits you can claim, including Universal Credit click our benefits calculator.

  • The calculator is free to use, and the details you provide are anonymous.
  • Before you start, make sure you have information about your savings, income, pensions and existing benefits (for you and your partner).
  • If you run out of time, you can save your calculation and come back to it later and pick up right where you left off.

If you are already receiving Housing Benefit certain changes in circumstances will trigger a claim for Universal Credit. For further information please visit www.gov.uk/universal-credit.

For further information on the support available in Wolverhampton to help you claim Universal Credit is available at  www.universalcreditwolverhampton.co.uk.