Universal Credit is gradually being rolled out to Wolverhampton. You can still make a claim for Housing benefits.

Before making a claim for Housing Benefits

Before you make a claim for Housing benefits please complete the online calculator which will advise you whether you should apply for Universal Credit instead to help with your housing costs.

Benefits Calculator

Making an application

Housing Benefit has been replaced by Universal Credit for working-age people. You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if:

  • You are a single pensioner aged 66 or over.
  • You are a pensioner with a partner, and both of you are aged 66 or over.
  • You live in temporary (homeless) accommodation provided by City of Wolverhampton Council.
  • You live in supported accommodation (receiving care, support, or supervision).

If you do not qualify under these conditions, you need to claim Universal Credit.
Even if you claim Universal Credit for housing costs, you must apply separately for Council Tax Support using the same form.
You may need to upload evidence to support your claim.

Apply for Housing Benefits or Council Tax Support

Further Information

You can contact us for further advice.

You may wish to read the Managing Director's Direction in support of the introduction of our online claim form. You can find this in the Downloads section.