With Local Housing Allowance, you will get the same amount of benefit as people in the same circumstances as you, regardless of the type of property you live in. You can find out how much Local Housing Allowance you can get before you rent a property, then this amount is paid directly to you.
Local Housing Allowance rates are reviewed in April of each year.
These rates apply to private tenancies within Wolverhampton from 1st April 2020 and are unchanged from 1st April 2021.
Number of rooms
|Shared room rate||£60.18||£261.50|
Please note that the Shared Room Rate applies to most single people under 35 years of age whether or not they live in self-contained accommodation. It also applies to single people over the age of 35 and living in shared accommodation.
You will be allowed 1 bedroom for each of the following:
- Every adult who is single (single people living on their own under 35 see above)
- Every adult couple
- Any other adult aged 16 or over
- Any two children under 10
- Any two children of the same sex
- Any other child Use the bedroom calculator at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-housing-allowance to work out how many bedrooms your household needs.
An additional bedroom may be allowed if:
- A disabled child is unable to share a bedroom
- A disabled child or non-dependant adult requires overnight care on a regular basis from a non-resident carer
- A couple are unable to share due to a disability
- You are an approved foster carer or an approved foster carer between placements
- An adult child who is a member of the armed forces who normally lives with you but is away on operations