The Council Tax Reduction (CTS) schemes reduce the amount of Council Tax that low-income households have to pay to the council.
All borough residents can apply for Council Tax Support if they pay Council Tax to the City of Wolverhampton Council.
The original Council Tax Benefit (CTB) scheme was abolished in April 2013 for all working-age households and was replaced by a local council tax support scheme.
Pensioner households applying for CTS will continue to be assessed under the national Council Tax Benefit scheme.
If you think you may be entitled to apply for Council Tax Support, you can check to see if you qualify by using the benefits calculator before making a claim.
Support Scheme calculator
This calculator estimates entitlement using the 1 April 2021 scheme.
Make a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council tax Support
The changes to the current scheme are:
- The amount of support will be restricted to 78% of liability before the deduction of other discounts.
The following groups of people will be protected from this reduction and will remain able to claim up to a maximum of 88% of liability before the deduction of other discounts.
- You or your partner are severely disabled and receive the Higher Rate Care Component of Disability Living Allowance or the Enhanced Daily Living Component of Personal Independence Payment;
- You are responsible for a severely disabled child who qualifies for the Enhanced Disability Premium;
- You are single without dependent children and aged under 25.
The amendments below were made to the scheme in April 2014 and will continue to apply in addition to the above:
- Child Benefit for second and subsequent children will be included as income when calculating a families total income, Child Benefit for the eldest child continues to be disregarded
- the amount of capital that a claimant and their partner may hold will be restricted to £6,000. If you hold more than this all support for Council Tax will be withdrawn
- the taper at which support is withdrawn for those people whose income is above their personal allowance will be increased from 20% to 23%
- the maximum amount of support will be restricted to a Band C property
- customers who have shown 'good cause' as to why they did not make a claim on time will have the period of backdating restricted to a maximum of one calendar month
- second Adult Rebate will be removed