If you are having difficulty paying your Council Tax, please 'Talk to us' so we can help you.

Income from Council Tax helps us to provide many essential services for local people in Wolverhampton.

If you are having difficulty paying, the first step is to check if you could reduce your bill. For more information please visit Ways to reduce your bill.

We understand that not everyone can pay their Council Tax during this difficult period and you may be worrying about money because your household income has changed. We offer a range of support and advice to help you to make your council tax payments. If you are finding it hard to pay, we urge you to contact us as soon as possible. By talking to us we may be able to help you by:

  • Making sure you are getting the correct discounts or reductions that could reduce your bill
  • Choosing a way to pay that is best for you
  • Choosing a payment date that is best for you
  • Making an arrangement so you know what to pay and when
  • Rescheduling your payments over an extended payment period
  • Making a referral for free independent debt advice

Financial support and advice are available during these difficult times. Please see below for the range of support available in Wolverhampton.

Go to Pay my Council Tax page

  • You can also go online if you wish to set up a Direct Debit.
  • You can also view and pay your Council Tax bill online. To do this you will need your council tax reference number and your debit or credit card details.

Remember council tax is a priority debt and your current council tax should be paid as shown on your bill.

Payment Arrangement

By proposing new payment arrangements, We may be able to recalculate or extend instalments. We will do our best to work with you where possible. 

If you choose to do nothing, then further action will be taken which may mean you may have to pay extra costs.

Payment Arrangement

You can ask us to consider a payment arrangement if you:

  • are struggling to keep up with your current instalment plan. This is on your latest Council Tax demand notice
  • have received a reminder, a second reminder or a Final Notice. It has not progressed to a court summons being issued

Payment Arrangement form

Complete this form only if you have NOT received a summons for the current year.

If you have received a summons, please complete the Special Payment Arrangement below.

The form does not show you how much each instalment will be. You will receive a new Demand Notice through the post. This will show the amount to pay and the date each payment is due.

Ask for a payment plan

Special Payment Arrangement

You can propose a special payment arrangement if you have received a summons for your current year.

You should use this form if you cannot maintain the payment arrangement set out on your summons letter.  

This will only set a plan for the current year’s summonsed balance. It will include any costs you incur at the court hearing date.

A plan will not be set if the balance for this summons or Liability Order has already progressed for further recovery action. This includes through:

  • an enforcement agent
  • an attachment of earnings
  • deductions from benefits

Requesting a Special Payment Arrangement won't prevent:

Special Payment Arrangement

You will need to have the following information to hand to complete this form:

  • council tax reference number  
  • council tax property address 
  • your name and contact address (if different to the council tax property) 
  • telephone number or email address 
  • your National Insurance Number 
  • employment details including payroll number (or business name if self-employed) 
  • benefit details where applicable 
  • bank details (if making payment by Direct Debit) 
  • start date for payments (this must be within the next 30 days)

Set up a Special Payment Arrangement

Contact Us

Our dedicated team is ready to take your call to discuss your outstanding payment and your current situation.

Please contact our Recovery Team if you wish to discuss any previous balances or are unable to clear your arrears within the current financial year.

You can either call 01902 551166 or use our online form below:

  • Current Start
  • Preview
  • Complete

Your details


Customer name


Customer address


Contact details

Your Enquiry