As a landlord, you need to make sure tenants dispose of their waste. Make sure you know your waste responsibilities and contact us with any issues.
Any waste or unwanted items left by a tenant vacating a property becomes Trade Waste. It is the duty of the landlord to ensure its safe and correct removal.
Your waste responsibilities as a landlord
As a landlord, it is your responsibility to ensure:
- tenants are disposing of their waste using the correct bins and, where necessary, the tip.
- you use a private waste collection contractor if your tenants exceed their bin service allocation.
- that any private waste collection contractor has:
- a Waste Carriers Licence
- a Duty of Care waste transfer note showing the description and disposal route of the waste.
- you remove any waste or unwanted bulky items left at the property.
- leaving waste in the garden could result in a £2,500 fine
- depositing waste on the street could also result in a £50,000 fine and up to 5 years imprisonment.
- ensure any private waste collection contractor disposes of waste appropriately and legally. You are responsible if they don't
Our waste responsibilities as a local authority
It is the responsibility of the council to provide each occupied property with:
- 1 x 120ltr or 240 ltr brown or green refuse bin and;
- 1 x 240ltr black/grey recycling bin.
- Or for flats a communal facility for both waste and recycling.
If your property has no bins it is the tenant's responsibility to request them
Disposing of waste left by tenants
At this point, the landlord is acting as a trader and handles the removal of this waste.
Get a quote from our trade waste team
- Find your nearest registered waste carrier
- take your rubbish to your nearest licensed disposal site.
Could your tenants recycle more?
By encouraging your tenants to recycle you can save money and help the environment.
There are several recycling facilities available to tenants:
- Recycling collection service.
- Household waste recycling centre.
- Purple bin garden waste service.
- Bulky waste collection service to dispose of large items.
Report a problem
Letting agencies and landlords can help us by reporting tenants who dispose of waste illegally.