Our two Household Waste and Recycling Centres are open 7 days a week from 8am - 4pm for Wolverhampton residents only. We offer unlimited visits by car.
Be prepared, have ID ready to prove you’re a Wolverhampton resident – a household bill (online version accepted) and photo ID is needed. Staff will guide people through the site as safely and as quickly as possible.
Monday: 8am to 4pm
Tuesday: 8am to 4pm
Wednesday: 8am to 4pm
Thursday:8am to 4pm
Friday: 8am to 4pm
Saturday: 8am to 4pm
Sunday: 8am to 4pm
An overview of what to do to help make your journey to the HWRC easier. Please view the journey map in the 'Download' section for more information.
Please see layouts of the HWRC’s, so you’re familiar with how each site operates. Check Shaw Road HWRC layout and Anchor Lane layout in the download section.
Before you leave the house/flat
- Know that anyone who is self-isolating or has COVID-19 symptoms must not visit the HWRC site.
- Pack your items so they’re easy for you to unload on site.
- Make sure you’ve read the site rules.
- Read the FAQs so you know what to expect.
- You will need 2 forms of ID to gain access to the site – a recent household bill (online bills are also accepted) and photo ID. This is to prove you are a Wolverhampton resident. Please show ID from behind your car window.
- Be prepared to queue. Take refreshments and keep yourself hydrated, especially in warm weather.
On the way to the HWRC
- Traffic routes to the site have been planned and managed carefully. There will be signage explaining what you need to do and when.
- Carefully follow the instructions to help keep everyone safe.
- Be prepared to queue. Due to the restrictions in place - as we keep to Government guidelines of 2 metres social distancing.
- Be patient and follow the advice.
On site at the HWRC
- When you approach the site, our staff will advise you when to enter.
- There will be a one-in-one out car system in place. Please be patient.
- Signage will be displayed at each point explaining what you need to do.
- The Government guidance of 2 metres social distancing will be in place on site.
- When unloading items make sure you check the container bay labels and put your waste in the correct container.
- Our staff are here to help you, and will get you through the site as quickly and safely as possible.
- The site will be regularly cleaned to maintain hygiene standards.
- At weekends our staff carry out site maintenance duties of HWRCs.
If you plan to visit the tip by car, you can access the site at any time during opening hours, there's no need to book an appointment slot.
You can dispose of the following items:
- car batteries, gas bottles, household batteries and electrical items ✔
- energy saving light bulbs and fluorescent tubes ✔
- garden waste, rubble and soils ✔
- fridges, freezers, mattresses and furniture ✔
- scrap metal, timber, chipboard and plasterboard ✔
- bulky plastic items, textiles and glass ✔
- Used cooking oil, tyres and engine oil ✔
- Chemicals ✔
- Paints ✔
We DO NOT accept
- Trade/Commercial Waste ✖
- Asbestos ✖
- Clinical Waste ✖
Please make sure you’re familiar with the guidance below.
Staff will guide people through the site as safely and as quickly as possible. We ask everyone to carefully follow the instructions of the staff on site to help everyone keep safe.
- We urge residents only to make essential trips - which means taking items that cannot be safely stored at home.
- Please do not visit if you, or members of your household, are showing any symptoms of coronavirus.
- Please keep to the strict social distancing policy to ensure the safety of yourselves and our staff. You will need 2 forms of ID to gain access to the site – a recent household bill and photo ID. This is to prove you are a Wolverhampton resident.
- Waste that comes into our household waste and recycling centres must be from a residential property in Wolverhampton and be accompanied by the resident(s) of that property. If you are unsure about entry, please contact us and we’ll advise accordingly as exceptions may apply.
- Please show ID from behind your car window. Please be patient. Due to the restrictions in place, we expect there to be queues. Follow the advice and please treat our staff with respect.
- Cars are permitted on site.
- Vans, larger vehicles, or a trailer are only allowed on-site with a valid booking. Available Monday to Friday.
- 6-seater Hackney Carriages do not require a booking, but larger minibus sized Hackney Carriages do require a booking.
- At weekends there’ll be no entry to HWRC sites 30 minutes before closing, as staff need to carry out site maintenance duties.
- Motorbikes only allowed on-site if waste carried is transported safely and securely.
- We accept oils, paints, chemicals and car tyres.
Read the information below about the re-opening of the council’s Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) - the tip.
Signage will be displayed at each point explaining what you need to do. We expect there will be queues so be prepared for this and please be patient. When you approach the site, our staff will help and advise you when to enter. There will be a one-in-one-out car system in place. When unloading items make sure you check the container bay labels and put your waste in the correct container.
We are expecting queues to enter the HWRC, and we must follow government guidance on social distancing to keep you and our staff safe. Which is why we’re asking residents to consider whether the trip to the tip is essential. Can you safely store items at home? If so, please do.
You will need 2 forms of ID to gain access to the site – a recent household bill (online bills are also accepted) and photo ID. This is to prove you are a Wolverhampton resident. Please show ID from behind your car window.
A strict 2 metres social distancing policy will be in place onsite and staff are unable to assist unloading items. Please do not bring any waste that you cannot unload yourself.
Safety is our top priority, which is why all visitors must follow the rules of the site. Please read the 'HWRC site rules' section above.
Anchor Lane site and Shaw Road will both open 7 days a week. In addition to a late night opening until 8pm on Thursdays.
Opening times for both sites are:
- Monday: 8am to 4pm
- Tuesday: 8am to 4pm
- Wednesday: 8am to 4pm
- Thursday:8am to 4pm
- Friday: 8am to 4pm
- Saturday: 8am to 4pm
- Sunday: 8am to 4pm
The site will operate under a one-in-one-out car system, therefore it’s expected that there will be delays. Please be patient. Be assured that staff are working hard in difficult conditions and will get you through the site as quickly and safely as possible.
We looked into this, but an online booking system does not give access to those households who are not online. It’s easy to take it for granted that everyone is, but it’s not the case. It would also be difficult to manage for practical reasons, as some people may take longer than others to complete their visit, this would have a knock-on effect on others waiting in the queue. Delay things further. People may also turn up and queue, without booking, leading to further delays when turned away causing more queues and frustration for others.
Yes. If you manage your garden waste through the purple bin collection service then continue to do so, but if that’s not possible, you can use the site for this.
We have put arrangements in place in line with Government social distancing guidance of 2 metres and urge residents only to make essential trips to the HWRC. Essential meaning, taking items that cannot be safely stored at home. Before making the journey to the HWRC, ask yourself if you really need to go: Is it essential?
No. We are unable to accept trade or business waste. The responsibility of any commercial activity – whether run from home or its own premises – is to manage and dispose of the waste it produces safely and responsibly.
From Monday August 3 you can make a booking and bring your waste in a van, larger vehicle, or a trailer to our HWRC’s - Anchor Lane and Shaw Road.
To enter the site you must have pre-booked.
Vehicles will not be allowed on site without a valid permit and two forms of ID (one photographic and a recent household bill).
Traffic routes to the site have been planned and managed carefully. There will be signage explaining what you need to do and when. Queues will be managed and there will be traffic marshals. On site, our staff will guide you through the site as safely and as quickly as possible. We ask everyone to carefully follow the instructions of the staff to help keep everyone safe. Be prepared to queue. Due to the restrictions in place - as we keep to Government guidelines of 2 metres social distancing – there will be queues. Be patient, follow the advice and please treat our staff with respect.
A maximum of two adults from the same household per vehicle will be allowed onto site to unload waste. This is to reduce the number of people on site and to manage social distancing.
If you wish, you can wear gloves or/and a facemask. Under government guidance, for example on public transport or in some shops, face coverings can help protect each other and reduce the spread of the virus. It is your choice to do so.
For sites to work well we must make sure certain tasks are done, which is why entry to Shaw Road and Anchor Lane HWRC site closes 30 minutes before published closing times at weekends, as staff need to carry out site maintenance duties.