City of Wolverhampton Council is following guidance from Central Government and Public Heath England. There may be measures that the Council has to take which will delay the processing and the decision on your application. Any general delays will be notified on this website.
Latest update. As of 29 May 2020 at 2.00pm
City of Wolverhampton Council is to restart issuing new driver badges from 1st June 2020. These will be issued by appointment only and there are strict infection control procedures in place. You will be contacted when your badge is ready to be issued and an appointment will be made.
Driver renewals will be processed as normal and posted out by recorded delivery. Where a driver needs to be seen in person, an appointment will be made.
Vehicle plating is restarting on 1st June 2020. There are again strict infection control measures in place and the site is operating on a limited appointment only basis.
Vehicle applications will need to be applied for in the same way, and the necessary documentation provided. An MOT certificate dated within the previous 10 days must be provided at application. The Government's extension will not be valid.
Where an exemption letter has been previously provided allowing a vehicle to operate with expired plates for 3 months, a new MOT will be required prior to the new plates being issued.
No further exemption letters will be provided.
All hackney carriage and private hire licensing will be undertaken through the Councils Hickman Avenue site. Entrance to the site is by appointment only. Drop-in callers will not be allowed on site.
Current Timescales for Private Hire Applications
Before you proceed with your application, please note the following timescales.
Private Hire Vehicle Applications (New and renewal)
When you have completed your online application, you will receive an e-mail acknowledgement.
Following your acknowledgement and providing your application is complete, you will receive a confirmation e-mail within 3 working days, notifying you of an appointment to collect your plates.
If we require further information from you to support your application, you will be contacted within 5 working days.
A vehicle will only be plated until it is 12 years old. Therefore, at the time of plating, the vehicle must be no older that 11 years and 6 months. The iApply online system will not allow you to continue with your application if your vehicle is too old.
Please note vehicle licence applications are currently being processed on the same day and you will likely receive an appointment for tomorrow. If you are busy tomorrow, please wait to make your application until the day before a day you are free.
Private Hire Driver Badge Application (New and renewal)
When you have completed your online application form, you will receive an email acknowledgement.
To process your application, we require:
- An acceptable passport-type photograph of you
- An acceptable image of both sides of your full UK driving licence for Category B vehicles, which you have held for at least 12 months. If you have a foreign driving licence, you may be able to convert it to a UK driving licence by clicking the following link https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence
- Your completed medical certificate, which must be dated no longer than 3 months before your application date, with your doctor's endorsement that you are fit to be a private hire driver
- Proof of your right to work in the UK
- Information from any previous authorities you have been licensed with
- An acceptable image of all pages of your full enhanced DBS certificate, which must be dated no longer than 3 months before your application date and from Personnel Checks Wolverhampton. To apply for this, visit www.personnelchecks.co.uk/taxis/wolverhampton/
- A completed DVLA Licence Check. This will be completed at the same time as your DBS, when you apply via Personnel Checks
- Confirmation from Worcestershire County Council that you have successfully completed our Private Hire Training & Assessment Programme within three attempts and no longer than 12 months before your application date (If you have not done so already, you can book this by clicking the following the link https://capublic.worcestershire.gov.uk/TaxiCourseBookingsPublic/)
- A personal email address
Providing we have received all the above documentation and your application is correct and complete, you will receive a second email within 15 working days (10 working days for renewals) stating that your badges are ready for collection. Please note, if your DBS certificate or DVLA licence check reveals convictions for offences that are not clear of our guidelines (which you can view in the Downloads section), it may take longer than 15 working days to process your application.
Names on all documents must match and be spelt in the same way. If there are any discrepancies with the names on the documents then the application will not be able to be processed further until the documents have been rectified.
Your 15-working day period will not begin until we are in receipt of correct and complete versions of all relevant documentation.
However, if we require further information from you to support your application, you will be contacted within 15 working days (10 working days for renewals).
Please do not contact licensing until 15 working days (10 working days for renewals) have passed since you made your application. If you have not received an email acknowledging receipt of your application form, please check the clutter/junk folder of your email account, as it may have been directed to there.
We are unable to provide progress updates over the telephone, but you can check the status of your application.
If 15 working days (10 working days for renewals) have passed since you submitted your application and you have not been contacted, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for driver licences or email@example.com for vehicle licences, with your application reference number
Please note that if you wish to obtain your licence sooner than the timescale above we offer a 'Fast Track' application