When looking for a home you should always consider all your housing options.

Housing advice for you

Get advice tailored for you

Our homes are in great demand, last year: 

  • Only 1,000 council properties became available for rent and most of these were one and two-bedroom flats 
  • Less than 8% of people on the Housing Register were successful in being rehoused 
  • Most council homes are let to applicants in the Emergency Band who have the greatest housing need  
  • Applicants in bands below the Emergency Band face significant waiting times for rehousing, and it is unlikely that applicants with low housing need (Band 3) will ever be offered a council home 
  • Two-bedroom bungalows are in the highest demand, but very few become available meaning a very long wait, even if you have high priority  

Find out more on out How to apply page

When applying for housing you must be able to afford the rent and other associated costs. While anyone can apply, filling in the application form does not guarantee success of being rehoused within Wolverhampton.  

For more information about joining Homes in the City, visit our Who can join page.

Homeless advice

If you are homeless now, or at risk of being homeless in the next 56 days visit our Homeless page for more information.

Staying put

Moving to a new home can be expensive and can take time. If it is safe for you to do so, you may want to consider staying in your current home until you are ready to move. 

Applicants with no registered housing needs may not be eligible to apply for Homes in the City, and other housing options like private renting or a Housing Association may be easier and quicker.

Domestic abuse

Anyone at immediate risk of domestic abuse should always dial 999.

If you are unable to speak always press '55' when prompted to confirm an emergency. 

If you apply for housing and are at risk of domestic abuse, please let us know so we can discuss safety planning as part of your application. 

For more information, and details of support agencies that can help, visit

the Wolverhampton Homes domestic abuse web page.

Private Renting

Private renting can be a quick and easy way to get a home and there are thousands of privately rented homes available across Wolverhampton. 

Private renting will require some upfront payments, so it is best to start saving as early as possible. 

If you are looking to rent a home privately search for properties becoming available: 

  • On websites such as rightmove.co.uk and zoopla.co.uk
  • On social media sites or in local shops 
  • Contact estate agents or lettings agents and ask to join their mailing list  
  • Ask your existing landlord to see if they can help you find somewhere more suitable  

For further information, visit the private renting page on the Shelter website.

Housing Association

Housing Associations provide very similar tenancies to the City of Wolverhampton Council that are both affordable and secure. 

While Homes in the City advertises at least half of all available Housing Associations properties in the area, the rest go through their own systems. 

As another housing option, Midland Heart Housing Association operates a separate housing register called Midland Heart Homes. 

Young persons team

If you are 16-17 and want some housing advice and guidance, please contact The Young Persons Team.

If you are aged 18-25 and homeless, or at risk of being homeless, visit our Homelessness Advice page for more information.

Mutual Exchange

A mutual exchange can be a quick and easy way to move as it involves two council or housing association tenants swapping their homes.  

While you do not need to be on the housing register or have a housing need to exchange tenancies, both parties must have permission from their landlords. 

For more information, visit the Wolverhampton Homes Mutual Exchange page, register on HomeSwapper, or advertise your home on social media to find a swap. 

Low-cost home ownership

Buying a home can be expensive, but there are different options available to help keep these costs as low as possible. 

For more information about support from the government visit Help to Buy

For the latest developments locally visit WV Living


There are agencies ready to provide advice and support on any housing issues you may be struggling with. 

Wolverhampton Homes dedicated Housing Support and Outreach Team can help with: 

  • Rent arrears and missing payments 
  • Universal Credit and benefits 
  • Budgeting and managing your money 
  • Housing enquiries and tenancy concerns 
  • Social, health and practicality issues 
  • Referrals and signposting to other agencies 
  • Advice on private renting issues 

For more information, visit the Wolverhampton Homes Supporting People page.

Condition of Property

As stated in our Housing Allocations Policy we can't give priority based on the condition of your home, except if you will be made homeless by the Environmental Health Team closing the property. More information can be found on our Property condition page.

If you rent privately or are a landlord in Wolverhampton and are having problems with the condition of your home, visit our Private Renting page for more information.


Anti-social behaviour or Criminal Activity

We know that anti-social behaviour can cause a great deal of distress, and we work with you and other organisations to investigate and resolve reported cases. 

You can contact your relevant managing agent to report anti-social behaviour’

If you are experiencing crime, report it to West Midlands Police.

If you want to apply for a home based on a social need relating to ASB or criminal activity, we need supporting evidence from the police. This confirms that you are at risk and that the police are supporting a move away from your current home. We do not accept crime numbers or supporting information from Victim Support.

Independent living service

Fitting suitable aids and adaptations, or improving existing heating or bathroom facilities, can make your home safer and easier to live in.  

For financial help or support with installation, older people, people with disabilities and vulnerable people will need to have an assessment from the Wolverhampton Independent Living Service.

Visit Grants and Support for more information.

Armed forces personnel

If you’re a leaving or former member of the armed forces, we may be able to provide extra priority to your housing application if: 

  • You are currently serving in the regular forces 
  • Served in the regular forces at any time in the last five years 
  • Are a bereaved spouse or civil partner of those serving in the regular forces 
  • Will stop being entitled to live in Ministry of Defence accommodation 
  • Are an existing or former member of the reserved forces suffering from a serious injury, illness, or disability due to your service 

For more information, refer to the Housing Allocations Policy on our Housing strategy, performance and policy page

Social or welfare housing needs

If you want to move due to social or welfare issues, we will need supporting information following your application. 

We may reassess your application depending on your circumstances. This could see you given a greater housing priority. 

Medical housing needs

If you have a medical housing need, you can complete a medical assessment form once you have registered. You must also provide supporting information from a: 

  • Consultant (or equal position) 
  • Occupational Therapist (or equal position) 
  • Consultant Psychiatrist (or equal position) 

They will need to confirm: 

  • Your medical conditions 
  • How your current home affects your medical conditions 
  • How a move to a different home would improve your conditions or make them easier to manage.  

We won't award medical priority if moving will not improve your condition or make it easier to manage. 

We may reassess your application depending on your circumstances. This could see you given a greater housing priority and/or recommendations made on suitable property types.  

For more information, visit our Medical Assessment Information page.

Applications from those who live outside of Wolverhampton or recently moved to Wolverhampton

Applicants without a connection to Wolverhampton will not be eligible to apply for Homes in the City.  

You can demonstrate you have a local connection by showing evidence that: 

  1. You have lived in the city for the last two years. This does not apply to the following groups of people: 
    • Refugees who were previously dispersed in Wolverhampton
    • Members of the Gypsy and Traveller community with no permanent residency
    • Former Council care leavers from Wolverhampton who are returning to the City, up to the age of 25.
    • An applicant needing to move due to domestic violence
    • An applicant needing to move who is subject to multi-agency panel approval
    • An applicant needing to move due to a protocol agreed by City of Wolverhampton Council and nearby authorities.
    • Eligible homeless applicants who are not subject to a referral to another Council and also meet the Housing Act local connection criteria
  2. The applicant is giving continued care to a resident within the city. Professional evidence will need to be provided, this could include the hospital, social services, or the council’s medical advisor
  3. The applicant is in employment or has received an offer of employment within the city. Evidence of the offer of employment will need to be provided 
  4. The applicant is a former City of Wolverhampton Council care leaver up to the age of 25. They must have been in care between the ages of 16 and 18 
  5. Any applicant with the following connection to the Armed Forces:
    • Those who are currently serving in the regular forces
    • Those who were serving in the regular forces at any time in the five years before their application.
    • Bereaved spouses or civil partners of those serving in the regular forces where:
      • the bereaved spouse or civil partner has recently ceased
      • they can't live in Ministry of Defence accommodation following the death
      • the death was wholly or partly because of their service
    • Existing or former members of the reserved forces suffering from:
      • a serious injury due to service
      • an illness due to service
      • a disability due to service
Assets, savings and income

You are not eligible to make a housing application if you: 

  • Have an income of more than £48,000 per year (excluding income from benefits) 
  • Have more than £16,000 of assets (including savings or equity in a property you own) 
Debts to a previous social landlord

We will suspend a housing application for at least three months if you: 

  • Owe debts of more than £400 to a Council 
  • Owe debts of more than £400 to a Registered Provider 
  • Owe debts of more than £600 where Universal Credit is a contributing factor 

You will need to tell us when your debts are below these levels so we can review your application. 

Housing costs

If you’re on a low income, out of work or claiming benefits, you may qualify for: 

  • Housing Benefit which is paid directly to your landlord to pay your rent for you
  • Universal Credit (UC) which you receive directly towards housing costs and use to pay your rent yourself
Housing Advice

Find further independent housing advice at: 

Or, if you are experiencing problems with debts and managing your money, contact the National Debtline