Residential care and support services include any that are received by a person in a residential or nursing home setting.

If you already pay for care and support at a residential or nursing home, you can now pay online through My Account

Pay for care online

Residential care or nursing home guidance

This guidance tells you about the financial implications of going into a residential care or nursing home either permanently or on a temporary basis. If you are getting care at home, going to a day centre or living in a very sheltered housing, a supported living or shared lives scheme, information on paying for these services can be found in the paying for care and support at home guidance.

Will I have to pay?

Everyone has to pay a contribution towards the cost of their care in a care home where the placement is funded by the Council. The amount you have to pay depends on your income and capital/savings. There are some services or circumstances where you may have a stay in a care home and you will not be asked to contribute towards the cost of the care either because of national guidance or local policy.

How much will I have to pay?

You will need to provide details of your income, savings, property ownership and outgoings in order for us to complete a financial assessment. It is important that we get this information as soon as possible as any delay may result in you paying the full cost for your care until the information is received. If you have over £23,250 in capital/savings you will pay the full cost of your care until it drops below this level when we will reassess you based on your income and capital/savings. For further information please see the factsheets below.

If you are asked to pay contributions towards your accommodation and care, this will take place from the date when the Council starts to pay the care home. You will be sent an invoice every four or five weeks detailing how much you have to pay. The easiest way to pay for your accommodation and care is by setting up a Direct Debit. If you have an absence away from the care home such as a hospital stay you will still need to pay a contribution during this time as the Council will still continue to pay the care home to keep the room available for when you return.

Savings and Capital threshold

If you have had a care assessment and you meet the criteria for needing 24-hour care and you have capital/savings below £23,250, the Council will help pay towards the cost of your accommodation and care in a care home.

If you have over £23,250 in savings/capital then you will be responsible for paying the full cost of your accommodation and care in a care home but in certain circumstances, the Council can support you with making the arrangements. For more information regarding the threshold and other exemptions please see the factsheets below.

Savings and capital includes:

  • Money held in a bank account
  • Money held in a savings account
  • Trust Funds where you have an absolute right to the funds held in trust
  • Cash
  • Property and land
  • National Savings Certificates
  • Premium Bonds
  • Stocks and Shares

Savings and capital do not include:

  • Personal possessions such as paintings, jewellery or cars
  • Investment bonds that are linked to life insurance
  • Trust funds from a compensation payment or where you have no absolute right to the capital held in trust

Will my care needs be assessed?

If you or someone you know is considering moving into a care home you can do so under a private arrangement or you can be supported by the Council. In order to move into a care home with support from the Council, you will need to have had a What happens at a care assessment?.

There are three types of care offered in a care home:

  • Residential - where there is a need for 24-hour care and support
  • Nursing - where there are is a need for regular medical intervention or observation as well as 24-hour care and support
  • Dementia - a need for specialist residential or nursing care to support individuals with Dementia

How can I find out more?

Visit our Health and Social Care for more information, email or telephone 01902 551199.

For information on various services and support organisations in Wolverhampton, please visit the Wolverhampton Information Network (WIN). 

If you would like to know more about paying for care and support at a residential or care home, you can find further information in the following fact sheets. These provide more detail regarding the basic rules and specific contribution issues that may affect your situation.