Non-residential care and support services include any care and support that is received by a person in a setting other than a residential or nursing home.

If you already pay for care and support at home, you can now pay online through My Account

Pay for care online

Home care guidance

The care and support packages that we provide are funded by a combination of:

  • money from government grants
  • Council Tax
  • a contribution from those that receive the care

How is my contribution calculated?

In order to assess your contribution we initially ask you a few questions about your savings/capital and ask for authorisation to gather information about your state benefits. Based on the information you provide we should be able to complete a financial assessment and notify you of the maximum contribution you will be expected to pay towards the cost of your care and support.

In certain circumstances, we may ask you to provide further information about your income and expenditure to ensure your contribution is calculated fairly.

Savings and Capital threshold

If you have over £23,250 in savings/capital then you will be expected to pay the full cost of your support service regardless of the amount of your income.

Savings and capital includes:

  • Cash
  • Savings
  • Bank or Building Society accounts
  • Premium Bonds
  • Investments and Shares

Means-tested benefits

People who receive means-tested benefits generally have lower incomes than those who do not and therefore those who receive a means-tested benefit will generally pay a lower contribution. For more information regarding the threshold and benefits please see the factsheets below.

What services are included

  • Care received at home or at a day centre
  • Care received via a scheme such as Supported Living
  • The Home Support service which helps with personal care
  • Day opportunities such as attendance at a day centre, community support, and outreach
  • Direct payments - payments made by the Council to you if applicable

What services are not included

  • Intermediate care or 'reablement' services
  • Continuing Healthcare support funded by the NHS
  • Section 117 - aftercare services provided under the Mental Health Act

For information about charges you may be expected to pay for Meals on Wheels, Carelink or Telecare Services; please visit Wolverhampton Information Network for more information. 

How do we make an assessment?

The way that we assess how much (if anything) you will be expected to financially contribute towards the cost of your care and support takes into account a number of factors. These include council policy, national guidance, and consultation with people who receive the services and their carers.

Further information

If you would like to know more about contributions towards your non-residential care and support, you can find further information in the following fact sheets. These provide more detail regarding the basic rules and specific contribution issues that may affect your situation.

If you have any queries concerning your financial contribution towards your non-residential care and support services please call 01902 555323.

For queries about access to non-residential care and support services, please call 01902 551199.