Information on reporting hate crimes, where you can find support and facts about the law.

City of Wolverhampton Council is committed to working in partnership with Wolverhampton voluntary and statutory organisations to tackle and prevent hate crimes.

Whether you are or are not a victim of or witness to an incident of hate crime the council hopes you find the following information useful in assisting you to report and tackle this. 

What are Hate Crimes/Incidents?

Hate crimes and incidents come in many different forms. It can be because of hatred on the grounds of your:

  • race
  • religion
  • sexual orientation
  • transgender identity
  • disability

Hate crimes/incidents can take many forms

  • Physical attack - such as a physical assault - on the victim or his/her family or carer, damage to property or pets, offensive graffiti and arson.
  • Threat of attack - including offensive letters, abusive telephone calls, groups hanging around to intimidate and unfounded malicious complaints.
  • Verbal abuse or insults - offensive leaflets and posters, abusive gestures, dumping of rubbish outside homes or through letterboxes and bullying at school or the workplace.
  • Online abuse - the same hate crime laws apply regarding anything that is published online either on a website or through social media.
No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF)

Most migrants and their dependent families with ‘No Recourse to Public Funds’ status are not entitled to certain welfare benefits, local authority housing or homelessness assistance, and most do not have the right to work.  These restrictions are set out in Section 115 Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (IAA).  An Adult with NRPF may be able to receive support from Adult Social Care to avoid destitution if they have eligible care needs and to prevent a potential breach of their human rights. 

When an adult has NRPF this means they have no entitlements to welfare benefits or social housing, no ability to hold a driving license, open a bank account, go to college or university or gain employment. Where these adults have children, Local Authorities have a duty to provide financial support and provide accommodation via s.17 of the Children Act 1989 and s.11 of the Children Act 2004.

Children whose parents are NRPF are classed as Children in Need.

For more information please visit the Wolverhampton Information Network using the button below

 No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) section