Rights of access
Under the UK Data Protection Law, The City of Wolverhampton Council has a duty to protect the personal data it processes.
In line with the laws, an individual has a number of rights in relation to the information held about them. For more detail on all your data rights, the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) has some useful guidance.
A request for information about an individual other than the subject of the information will be rejected except in the following circumstances:
- Those with parental rights may request information about a child under 16, where the child has capacity and is over 13, they will be asked to consent to the release of their data to their parent.
- Solicitor may request information on behalf of an individual with that individual's consent
- Those with Lasting Power of Attorney for an individual who has been proven to lack capacity to make their own decisions.
- Any person acting on behalf of another with signed consent from the data subject, which can be verified.
You can request access to your information using the form at the bottom of this page. Or by contacting the council by:
Telephone: 01902 554498
City of Wolverhampton Council
Information Governance Team
St. Peter's Square
What will you get?
- a copy of the information held about you
- a description of the information processed
- the purposes for which the information is being processed
- a list of recipients of whom the information are/may be disclosed
- an explanation of any codes used
What is the process?
A request must be clear and set out enough details for the Council to search our systems, and identify the types of records you would like. It is useful if you can specify any time periods you and be as specific as you can about the services you're interested in or have had dealings with. It is best if you can put this down in writing to us.
We will review your request and acknowledge that we have received it. Sometimes we may need some more information from you to find your records and we will ask you to clarify your request, be more specific or cut down your request to help us find your records.
If we can't verify your identity, or your right to see information about another person, with the details we hold on our systems, we will ask you for documents of proof, such as your ID or documents that show your parental rights, or power of attorney.
Acceptable forms of ID include:
- Driving Licence
- Birth Certificate/ Marriage Certificate
- Utility/Council Tax Bill for current address
- Benefits book
- National Insurance card
- Power of Attorney documents
Requesting a copy of your records is free, however, we will charge a fee if your request is excessive, manifestly unfounded, or a repeat request for the same information.
We will tell you if a fee applies to your request and try to work with you to narrow down your request so that it is free.
If a fee is payable you can submit the payment by electronic transfer to the following account:
Name: Wolverhampton City Council
Sort Code: 56-00-69
Reference: WCC/DP/XXXXX (You will be given your own Request Reference number to quote here).
Or by cheque:
Please write your request reference number and your name onto the back of the cheque and post it to:
City of Wolverhampton Council
St Peter's Square