Find out how to apply for a permit.

Many businesses like to be able to offer an outdoor seating area for their customers to consume food and drink. These may include cafes, bars and restaurants.  If the area where the tables and chairs are to be placed is part of the Public Highway, then a licence is required from the Local authority under section 115 of the Highways Act 1980


Retail areas within the city have much to offer by way of creating an ambience that makes them attractive to shoppers and visitors alike. The Council recognises this and wishes to encourage traders to promote their business activities in a way which both enhances the street scene re-invigorates the city and is sensitive to the needs of highway users.

If the application is for an item or items that are not directly outside your premises then Licensing Services will need to place a notice(s) in the area to which the application pertains, there will be an additional cost of £7.00 for each such application(s).

Application process

The permit lasts for 12 months and there is a fee of £25. Guidance notes have been produced to assist applicants and these can be downloaded below with the application.

Each application will be considered on its own merit. For every application this will include the available space, the type and character of the street, the kind of furniture proposed, the flow of pedestrians and any possible hazards.

As part of the application:

  • A public notice of the application must be given detailing the proposal and deadline for representations.
  • All representations received must be considered
  • Any other relevant parties will be consulted
  • Permissions must not be unreasonably withheld

As part of your application you will be required to provide:

  • A plan of the location (Table & Chairs only) 
  • A site plan of the layout including measurements (Table & Chairs only)
  • Images of the items to be used and their dimensions (Table & Chairs Only)

Once submitted, each application will be distributed to responsible authorities for a consultation period of 28 days.  You will be required to display a notice at your premises. 

Subject to no representations being made, the permit will be granted for a period of 12 months. Where representation is received, it may require a review to determine your application.

How to apply

A copy of the application and guidance can be downloaded from the Downloads section

Will tacit consent apply?

No, tacit consent will not apply it is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.  If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact us. 

What if I have a complaint or concern?

If you have a complaint or concern about items on the highway or believe the occupation of the highway has not been permitted, contact us.

Contact us

You can enquire at the Civic Centre reception desk from Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

Please contact Licensing team providing as much information as you can to enable us to respond as quickly as possible.

Or write to:
Regulatory Services
Regeneration & Environment
City of Wolverhampton Council
Civic Centre
St Peter Square