If you deal or trade in scrap metal or are a motor salvage operator, you will need a licence issued under Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.
  • Each licence lasts for 3 years.
  • every scrap metal dealer will be required to have a licence and operating without one will be a criminal offence.

Which licence do I require?

There are two types of licence:

Collector's licence

This allows the holder of the licence to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing local authority.

It does not allow the collector to operate in any other local authority area, so a separate licence has to be obtained from each council the collector wishes to operate in.

The licence does not authorise the holder of the licence to operate a site.  A scrap metal dealer can only hold one type of licence within any local authority area.

Collector's licence fee: £180

Site licence

All the sites where the licence holder carries on a business as a scrap metal dealer have to be identified, and a site manager has to be named for each site.

This licence allows the holder of the licence to transport scrap metal to and from those sites from any local authority area.

Site licence fees:

  • one site: £500
  • additional sites: £275 per site

How to apply

Please see the download section to obtain your application form to apply for a new licence or renew a licence.

You must submit the following with each application to the address below:

  • Basic Disclosure Certificate no older than 3 months old - you can obtain one at Gov.uk
  • A coloured passport sized photograph of each person who is to be named on the licence
  • Supporting ID documents for each person named on the application (See application form)
  • An Upper Tier Waste Carrier’s licence from the Environment Agency (only if you carry waste)
  • Confirmation of your tax obligations
  • HMRC Tax Check Code which you can obtain from Gov.uk if you:
    • are applying to renew a licence
    • already have a licence of the same type that is still valid
    • have a licence of the same type that ceased to be valid less than a year ago

from 4 April 2022 you must confirm you are aware of your tax responsibilities if you’re an individual, company or any type of partnership.  You can find out further information on HMRC Tax Check and follow the tax check guidance at Gov.uk.

Contact Us

Please contact Licensing team providing as much information as you can to enable us to respond as quickly as possible.

Or write to:

Licensing Services
City of Wolverhampton Council
Civic Centre
St Peters Square