- Each licence lasts for 3 years.
- every scrap metal dealer will be required to have a licence and operating without one will be a criminal offence
Which licence do I require?
There are 2 types of licences
This allows the holder of the licence to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing local authority.
It does not allow the collector to operate in any other local authority area, so a separate licence has to be obtained from each council the collector wishes to operate in.
The licence does not authorise the holder of the licence to operate a site. A scrap metal dealer can only hold one type of licence within any local authority area.
Collector's licence fee: £180
All the sites where the licence holder carries on a business as a scrap metal dealer have to be identified, and a site manager has to be named for each site.
This licence allows the holder of the licence to transport scrap metal to and from those sites from any local authority area.
Site licence fees
- 1 site: £500
- additional sites: £275 per site
How to apply
Download, print off and complete the application form
You must submit the following with each application to the address below:
- Basic Disclosure Certificate no older than 3 months old
- a coloured passport sized photograph of each person who is to be named on the licence
- supporting ID documents for each person named on the application (See application form)
- An Upper Tier Waste Carrier’s licence from the Environment Agency (only if you carry waste)
Please contact Licensing team providing as much information as you can to enable us to respond as quickly as possible.
Or write to:
City of Wolverhampton Council
St Peters Square