Each licence lasts for 3 years. The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 replaces the previous registration system for scrap metal dealers created by the 1964 Scrap Metal Dealers Act. In its place it establishes a new licensing regime, which means:
- every scrap metal dealer will be required to have a licence and operating without one will be a criminal offence
- under the new legislation the definition of scrap metal dealers now includes motor salvage operators, and the provisions in the Vehicles (Crime) Act 2001 under which they operate will end once the new act comes into effect
Which licence do I require?
This allows the holder of the licence to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing local authority. It does not allow the collector to operate in any other local authority area, so a separate licence has to be obtained from each council the collector wishes to operate in. The licence does not authorise the holder of the licence to operate a site. A scrap metal dealer can only hold one type of licence within any local authority area.
Collector's licence fee: £180
All the sites where the licence holder carries on a business as a scrap metal dealer have to be identified, and a site manager has to be named for each site. This licence allows the holder of the licence to transport scrap metal to and from those sites from any local authority area.
Site licence fees
- 1 site: £500
- additional sites: £275 per site
How to apply
Download, print off and complete the application form in the Download section
When returning your application
Read though the guidance before you complete the form.
You must submit the following with each application:
- a Basic Disclosure Certificate* A basic disclosure can be obtained from: https://www.gov.uk/request-copy-criminal-record
- the certificate must be no more than 3 months old
- a photo of each person who is to be named on the licence
- supporting ID documents (See application form)
You can enquire at the Civic Centre reception desk from Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm and Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
Please contact our Licensing Team providing as much information as you can to enable us to respond as quickly as possible.
Or write to:
City of Wolverhampton Council
St Peters Square