Hypnotism for the purpose of this application includes hypnotism, mesmerism and any similar act or process which produces or is intended to produce in any person any form of induced sleep or trance in which the susceptibility of the mind of that person to suggestion or direction is increased or intended to be increased, but does not include hypnotism, mesmerism or any such similar act or process which is self-induced.
How to apply
- apply at least 28 days before your performance (unless you have staged hypnotism at the same venue within the past 3 years without incident)
- give details of your last 3 performances (when and where)
- tell the council about any previous refusals of a hypnotism permit or convictions related to staged hypnotism
- The premises at which hypnotism will take place must hold a premises license or a club premises certificate.
- Hold public liability insurance if the venue’s insurance doesn’t cover your performance
If you stage hypnotism for entertainment purposes without a licence or break any of the conditions on your permit, you could be fined up to £1,000.
How do I apply?
Completed application forms should be returned to the address below.
How much will it cost?
There are currently no fees for hypnotism consent.
How do I tell you about a change that may affect my consent?
If circumstances change regarding time and location of the consent, please contact us.
What if I have a complaint or concern?
If you have a complaint or concern about a hypnotism act or believe a hypnotist has not been consented, contact us.
You can enquire at the Civic Centre reception desk from Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5:00pm and Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Please contact Licensing, providing as much information as you can to enable us to respond as quickly as possible.
Or write to:
City of Wolverhampton Council
St Peters Square