The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018, came into effect 1 October 2018.

View the full legislation at

You require a licence if you operate any of the following businesses:

  • Pet shop
  • Animal boarding establishment (commercial boarding kennels, catteries, home dog boarding, dog day care)
  • Dog breeding establishment
  • Riding establishment
  • Keeper and trainer of performing animals

How to apply


The fees are variable depending on the duration of the licence.

Please refer to the application in the download section

Application form

The application form can be found in the downloads section.

Returning your application

Complete and return the form with the correct fee to the address below.

Contact us

You can enquire at the Civic Centre from Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm and Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.

Alternatively please complete our contact our Licensing Team providing as much information as you can to enable us to respond as quickly as possible.


Licensing Services
City of Wolverhampton Council
Civic Centre, St. Peter's Square