We do not operate an open housing register. Although you can submit an application, you may not be able to continue if you belong to certain groups.

Anyone can apply for one of our homes if they meet the eligibility criteria in the Housing Allocations Policy.

Homes are allocated in line with this policy, but you will need to complete an online application form first.  

Find out more at How to apply.

I'm already a council tenant

Yes, you can apply but we will only be able to allow you to have an application if you have one of the housing needs listed in the Allocations Policy. You may be placed in a low band and have a long wait for a new property as you are already housed.  

If you are already a council tenant, we recommend that you consider a mutual exchange as the best way to move. Find out more about mutual exchanges on the Wolverhampton Homes website

Who may not be able to join Homes in the City

You may not be able to continue with an application if you belong to certain groups:

People subject to immigration control

The Housing Act 1996 restricts certain people. Parliament amended this with the Homelessness Act 2002. It includes people:

  • subject to immigration control
  • with limited rights of residence
  • failing the habitual residence test access to the Housing Register

as well as some European nationals depending on their

  • residency
  • employment status
  • specific exclusions

Applicants who are subject to these controls will not be eligible for an allocation. 

We will need non-UK citizens to show evidence of eligibility to join the housing register. We will confirm what evidence we need before the application goes live. 

Incapable of holding a tenancy in law

Applicants who can't hold a legal tenancy are not eligible to access the housing register. This includes people:

  • under 18 years of age
  • subject to immigration control

The following groups can access the register despite not being able to hold a tenancy in law:

  • A person in the care of the Council
  • A person leaving the care of the Council (care leaver)
  • A person defined as a child in need as a result of a section 17 statutory assessment;
  • A person owed full statutory homeless duty following a section 20 statutory assessment
  • A person with an adult acting as a trustee. They also hold a legal tenancy until the legal incapacity to hold a tenancy ends
Applicants with no recognised housing need

If you have no recognised housing need, or no connection to Wolverhampton, visit Your housing options

Or, read our Housing Allocation Policy in the Downloads section of the Housing strategy, performance and policy page

Applicants with income/assets above the set limit

If you have a regular income or assets above a set limit, visit Your Housing Options to find out more.  

Further exclusions

We may also consider preventing you from applying for a set period, if: 

  • The applicant, or someone in their home, is guilty of unacceptable behaviour  
  • The applicant has refused two suitable offers of housing 
  • The applicant is a risk, to themselves or others, if placed in a certain property type or in a certain area if it would be a risk  
Lesser preference

Applicants will have less priority if they: 

  • Owe debts of more than £400 to a Council 
  • Owe debts of more than £400 to a Registered Provider 
  • Owe debts of more than £600 where Universal Credit is a contributing factor 

In these cases, we will suspend an application until the applicant resolves the affected criteria, or the applicant follows a repayment plan for at least three months before making an offer. 

The allocation of alternative housing will be dependent on: 

  • The tenant making regular payments for at least three months 
  • The tenant being subject to a full income and expenditure exercise. And agreeing to a repayment plan 
  • The tenant transferring the debt owed at their current property to the new tenancy. Any agreement to remove the remaining debt will become a condition of the new tenancy 
  • The tenant being in their property for less than one year 
  • The tenant failing a pre-leaving property inspection 
  • The tenant being involved in unacceptable behaviour but not serious enough for exclusion. This could include persistent non-payers, involvement in anti-social behaviour etc