Leaving home is a big decision; family might be difficult to live with, but the reality of living on your own could be even harder.

Housing advice for you

Get advice tailored for you

You need to consider:

  • How you will pay your bills;
  • How will you get to work, college or other commitments;
  • Whether you will be lonely;
  • Whether you might still have to share with other people to afford to live independently.

For some young people, leaving home may seem like the only option but help is available to stop it reaching this point. This may differ depending on how old you are, for example, Social Care will become involved if you are aged 16 or 17.

Housing help for 16 and 17-year-old care leavers


  • you have already left care, and
  • you have spent a total of at least 13 weeks in care since the age of 14, and
  • part of that time in care was while you were 16 or 17

You will be able to get help including somewhere to live. It doesn't matter if those 13 weeks were not all at the same time.

You have different rights if you have spent less than a total of 13 weeks in care, or you want to leave care before your 16th birthday.

For further information on housing options for young people 16 and 17 please view the 'The Housing Support Guide for 16-17 year olds' in the Downloads section and the factsheets below:

Housing help for 18 to 21-year-old care leavers

If you are aged 18 to 21, you can get help from both the Council's Children's services and the Housing options service. You are automatically classed as being in 'priority need' until your 21st birthday, which means that the Housing Options service will help you find a place to live.

If you are aged 18 to 21 and spent at least one night in care when you were 16 or 17, you are automatically classed as being in priority need until your 21st birthday.

Children's services can also help you by providing support and help with training and education.

The following services may also be able to provide you with help.

Wolverhampton Homes - Young Persons Team, providing support for young people aged 16-25. This includes specialist support and accommodation designed for young people aged 16 and 17 who find themselves homeless or at risk of homelessness.

Housing help for 21 years old and above care leavers

Some older care leavers will get assistance and accommodation from the Housing Options service if they are in priority need. For example, this may be the case if you:

  • are vulnerable as a result of having been in care
  • haven't had a stable home since you left care
  • have slept on the streets in the past

If you are in full-time further or higher education and you have nowhere to stay outside term time Children's services must also find you somewhere to live.

All clients will be able to receive advice and assistance to gain suitable accommodation.

Housing-Advice - Young Persons Team


If you have read all of the above, but still require support or advice, please contact Wolverhampton Homes Homeless Services on 01902 556789 (option 2), or by using the online form. Wolverhampton Homes provide homeless services on behalf of the City of Wolverhampton Council.