If you are experiencing problems with overhanging vegetation, the council may be able to take action to alleviate the problem.

If the vegetation is coming from private land not causing an obstruction

If any damage is being caused it may be possible to sue under Trespass laws. Members of the public have the power to cut back any branches that overhang their property providing that it does not kill the shrub/tree and that they can offer/give the branches cut back to the landowner where the shrub/tree originated from.

If you have concerns about the height of a neighbours hedge please refer to information on high hedges.

Go to our High Hedges page

If the vegetation is coming from council/public land and causing an issue

Please refer to Tree, hedges and grass for more guidance.

If the vegetation is coming from private land and causing an obstruction/danger to the highway

Wolverhampton Council aims to have issues resolved between parties before formal action is taken

If you believe it is a serious immediate danger to the public contact the Environmental Health team.

There is a legal requirement for Land Owners not to cause an obstruction. To prevent obstructions the quickest way to ensure the vegetation is cut back would often be for the customer to speak to the landowner/occupier and to make them aware of the nuisance. If they prefer to drop a note in the letterbox that may also work. This is appropriate when the landowner is known.

Sample first letter

I have tried the above steps and no action has been taken

Fill in the form below.


  • Current Start
  • Preview
  • Complete

Your details


Customer name


Customer address


Steps taken

i.e. Tree/hedge/Japanese knotweed
Affecting street lights/forcing public off the footpath
Please be as exact with as much detail as possible.