The council’s cost of living team has got together with key partners from across the city to stage a 3 day pop up shop full of great belt tightening ideas to make our residents money go further this festive season.
It’ll be in the community hub in the Lower Mall and each day will have a theme covering everything from festive food and keeping warm to managing finances and not getting sucked in by scams or illegal money lenders.
Our community chefs will be demonstrating how to make tasty treats for tasty prices; they’ll be a Christmas jumper and party clothes swap shop; free membership on offer for our community shops; and shop smart advice on avoiding counterfeit goods and loan sharks.
Leader of the City of Wolverhampton Council, Councillor Stephen Simkins said: “This is a great opportunity to find dozens of ways to save this Christmas while still having a great time.
“We’ve been helping our residents throughout the year with the cost of living in a wide variety of ways. We hope this event will help people enjoy the festive season, but at not too high a cost, which could see them paying for it for months to come.
“So, pop by Wednesday to Friday next week and see how much you can save this festive season.”
Here’s the detail of the themes and what’s on offer for each day:
Wednesday 22 November Keep warm, stay safe
- Energy advice from Smart NRG and online tool Kuppa
- CAB, debt and general advice
- Severn Trent - water bills support and social tariffs
- WM Fire Service - fire prevention and winter warmth advice
- Recovery Near You and Aquarius - addiction services, safe drinking and gambling advice
- Community Safety team - housing advice
- ACCI - Goodnight Project, helping others have their own bed to sleep in this festive season
Thursday 23 November – Festive food for less
- Community chefs - offering food samples, taste tests, recipes etc all around Christmas dinner and festive food
- Health visitors attending with free dental packs to give out
- Info on free school meals and holiday activities plus healthy start vouchers
- Free memberships to community shops on offer
Friday 24 November – Shop smart, avoid debt
- Clothes swap shop with focus on Christmas jumpers and party outfits with support from Simple Acts of Kindness
- Shop smart – Digital Wolves and Adult Education with tips and advice on finding the best deals and helping people save on gifts, helping those who need digital support
- Credit union - advice on affordable loans
- Baby bank - support with items for families
- Public protection team with advice on scam awareness and dangers of counterfeit goods