People are being encouraged to nominate others for a range of awards that celebrate everything from being a good neighbour, promoting community spirit or being a local eco warrior to using their talents to inspire others.
The winners will be invited to an awards ceremony taking place at Wolverhampton Heritage Centre, Clifford Street, on Friday 20 March.
The event will also premiere a performance of a specially commissioned poem by Wolverhampton’s Poet Laureate, Emma Purshouse, and announce the winners of a children’s community poetry competition which over 300 local children are currently taking part in.
Award categories as are follows:
- Community Cohesion Forum Love Your Community Award
- Whitmore Reans Library Gifted and Talented Young Persons’ Award (16 and under)
- Wolves Foundation Community Superhero Award
- Wolverhampton Homes Local Tenant Champion Award
- Gatis and Wildside Eco Warrior Award
- Gatis and Wildside Junior Eco Warrior Award (16 and under)
- SS Peter and Paul Primary Year 6 Students’ Local Hero Award
- Newhampton Arts Centre Creative Talent Award
- TLC College Celebrating Volunteering Award
- Midland Heart Good Neighbour Award
- Whitmore Reans Connect Bringing People Together Award
- Gloucester Street Community Centre Bright Future Award
The event is also being supported by The African Caribbean Community Initiative (ACCI) and West Midlands Police, who will be recognising local unsung heroes at the event.
Nominations for unsung heroes can be made on line at Whitmore Reans’ Unsung Heroes, by completing a nomination form at Whitmore Reans Library, Bargate Drive, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for nominations is 5pm on Monday 24 February.
The event is part of the wider partnership work that has been taking place in Whitmore Reans over the last year, which has involved a number of physical improvements to the area including the closure and filling in of the subway at Craddock Street. A children’s community mural will also be installed at the Avion Centre later in the year.