Type=image;ImageID=14073;ImageClass=left;ImageTitle=Last night's switch on;TitleClass=strong;
The Free Radio roadshow provided the entertainment, and families enjoyed a mini funfair, real reindeer located in Lichfield Street and traditional Christmas music from the Wulfruna vintage steam organ.
Deputy Mayor of Wolverhampton, Councillor Phil Page, Mayoress Asha Mattu, stars from this year's Grand Theatre pantomime, Jack and the Beanstalk, children's picture book character, The Gruffalo, and British Citizen Youth Award winner, Louis Johnson, joined Father Christmas to switch on the lights, which was followed by a spectacular firework display.
Visitors to the city centre also picked up plenty of fabulous Christmas gifts and goodies at the festive market on Dudley Street.
And Father Christmas entertained children in his Winter Wonderland, in the Mander Centre lower mall.
The city centre fun will now be followed by 5 more evenings of festive celebrations when the lights are also switched on by Father Christmas and the Deputy Mayor of Wolverhampton at Wednesfield, Tettenhall, Bilston, Bantock Park and Northycote Farm.
Entertainment will be provided by Dicky Dodd and the Signal 107 roadshow.
Councillor John Reynolds, Cabinet Member for City Economy, said: "Each year we get more and more families coming along to enjoy the lights being switched on to mark the start of the countdown to Christmas - they really are great free evenings out."
All the below Christmas events are free:
- Thursday 23 November: Wednesfield, High Street - event starts at 4pm, switch on 5.30pm
- Saturday 25 November: Tettenhall, Upper Green - event starts at 5pm, switch on 6.30pm
- Sunday 26 November: Bantock Park, Finchfield Road - event starts at 5pm, switch on 6.30pm. You can also meet Father Christmas in the Drawing Room of Bantock House Museum between 5pm and 6.15pm.
- Friday 1 December: Bilston, Church Street - event starts at 5.30pm, switch on 6.30pm
- Saturday 2 December: Northycote Farm, Underhill Lane - event starts at 4pm, switch on 5pm. Free craft and storytelling session for children from 4pm.
For details of all events taking place in Wolverhampton over Christmas visit Type=links;Linkid=8616;Title=What's On Wolverhampton;Target=_blank;.
For a full picture gallery showcasing the Christmas lights switch-on and firework display, please check out our Type=links;Linkid=9897;Title=Flickr gallery;Target=_blank;.
- released: Thursday 23 November, 2017