Type=image;ImageID=11113;ImageClass=left;ImageTitle=Indicative visual of the HCA development;TitleClass=strong;
The plans submitted by the Homes & Communities Agency's (HCA's) planning consultants Cushman and Wakefield are for the demolition and remediation of the former bus depot part of the site to make way for up to 146 new homes. The demolition work is likely to start in early 2017.
The HCA acquired the former Royal Hospital site earlier this year to create new homes and a high profile gateway development into the city centre.
The 12.5 acres of land, which comprises the former bus depot and further development land as well as the former Royal Hospital itself, will be predominately used for residential development.
Karl Tupling, the HCA's Executive Director for the Midlands, said: ""Gaining planning permission for these new homes means the redevelopment of this important area of Wolverhampton city centre can get under way in the coming months. The HCA will continue to work closely with the City of Wolverhampton Council to secure planning consent on the remainder of the Royal Hospital site to deliver much needed housing for the city."
City of Wolverhampton Council Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for City Housing and Assets, Councillor Peter Bilson, said: "This decision means the HCA can now push forward with the transformation of this site and we can look forward to seeing it brought back to life.
"Over £992 million of investment in city centre projects is either on site or in the pipeline as the regeneration of Wolverhampton continues.
"The HCA plans will not only bring new jobs, business and housing but will make the former Royal Hospital site a key gateway to the city centre."
- released: Tuesday 8 November, 2016