The City of Wolverhampton Council is urging any household that has not already received the £150 council tax rebate to help with the cost of living crisis to make sure they apply as soon as possible.

The Government announced earlier this year that households in council tax bands A-D would be eligible to receive the payment.

People who pay their council tax bills by direct debit have already received the rebate automatically, but people who pay by a different method need to apply to receive the money.

Across Wolverhampton, a total of 101,913 households are eligible for the £150 payment and so far almost 70% have received the money.

The council is now writing out to the 17,000 households who have yet to engage in an effort to ensure they receive what they are entitled to.

Councillor Obaida Ahmed, the City of Wolverhampton Council’s Cabinet Member for Resources, said: “It is so important that people know how they can claim this £150 payment – this is the council tax rebate that the Government announced earlier in the year to help with the rising cost of energy.

“We have already paid out to around 70% of eligible households, but we need the remaining 30% to understand they must apply to get the money.

“We are sending out a flyer to all of those households making it clear they can apply online or if they are not online there are other ways for them to get in touch and we can arrange for people to receive help to apply if they need it.

“We are currently supporting thousands of customers who are not online to make their application and have taken on additional staff to help process the sheer numbers of people contacting us.

“If you have already contacted us, please be patient and we will respond to you as soon as possible.”

The easiest way for people to apply for the £150 is to complete an application online at Council Tax Rebate / Energy Rebate.  

Anyone requiring help to make their application can either phone the council on 01902 551166 or email

Alternatively people can visit the council reception desk at the Civic Centre, St Peters Square, Wolverhampton WV1 1SH, which is open Monday to Friday 10am to 3pm.

People can also request help by post by writing to: Revenues & Benefits Service, P.O. Box 250, Wolverhampton WV2 1AX.