A High Court hearing about an application by the 4 Black Country councils to extend the injunction banning car cruising in the region has been adjourned until 28 April.

The court, sitting virtually because of the Covid-19 pandemic, was unable to grant the application at this time because of a case currently being heard in the High Court in London relating to a number of injunctions which, similar to the car cruising injunction, are issued against 'persons unknown'.

While the application to extend the Black Country injunction remains live, the injunction itself will lapse, at least temporarily, on Monday (1 February).

In the meantime, people are reminded that the act of car cruising is in contravention of the legislation currently in place to prevent the spread of coronavirus – particularly the rules around non-essential travel and meeting in public.

It is against the law to meet socially with family or friends unless they are part of the same household or support bubble and people must not leave home for recreational or leisure purposes at this time.

Councillor Jasbir Jaspal, the City of Wolverhampton Council's Cabinet Member for Public Health and Wellbeing, said: "We are or course disappointed by today's adjournment but understand the court’s position given that there is a case currently underway at the High Court in London looking into similar injunctions.

“The car cruising injunction has been incredibly effective since its introduction 6 years ago, but we know that the problem still persists in some areas and it is important that the authorities have the powers they need to crack down on car cruising as and when it occurs.
"We look forward to returning to the High Court in April to progress this matter further and we are hopeful that the injunction can be reinstated at that point. 

“In the meantime I would remind anyone who is considering organising or attending a car cruise that to do so would be in breach of the restrictions which are in place to prevent the spread of Covid-19, and that the authorities will not hesitate to take action against anyone who contravenes them."

Incidents of car cruising should be reported to West Midlands Police on 101. In an emergency, always dial 999.