The law relating to approved venues are intended to allow proceedings to take place at premises such as hotels, stately homes, civic halls and similar premises.

Premises are defined as a permanently immovable structure.

You need to identify a specific room or rooms where weddings or civil partnerships will take place. This must not be in the open air or under a marquee.

The council must be happy that the premises are ‘seemly and dignified’ and that they will be regularly available for marriages or civil partnerships.

The premises must also have all the necessary fire and safety provisions required by the local council.

Once granted, approvals will be valid for 3 years.

How to apply

Download the application form from the downloads section, complete and return it to the postal or email address below with the supporting documents and appropriate fee.

You will require the following:

  • Completed application form providing details of yourself and your venue
  • Plans of the building showing the area where ceremonies will be held
  • Planning Permission
  • Public Liability Insurance
  • Application Fee


Please refer to the relevant application.

Payment can be made by cheque, postal order or you can request that payment be taken over the phone or by bank transfer.

Contact Us

Please contact Licensing, providing as much information as you can to enable us to respond as quickly as possible.

Or write to:

Licensing Services
City of Wolverhampton Council
Civic Centre
St Peters Square