What is it?
The Rent Deposit Scheme comes in the form of a bond or guarantee which replaces a deposit with the Tenancy Protection Scheme. The bond or guarantee acts as a deposit to cover any uninsured loss or damage to a property for which you are responsible for.
How do I qualify?
To qualify for the scheme you must:
- be homeless, threatened with homelessness through no fault of your own or can demonstrate a housing need. The scheme welcomes singles, couples and families
- be between 18 and 59 years old
- have a local connection to Wolverhampton (as the bond can only be used in Wolverhampton)
- be on Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or on a low income and receipt of Working Families Tax Credit
- be unable to afford a rent deposit or rent in advance
- be willing to accept a tenancy for 12 months
- be willing and able to maintain a tenancy
- be willing to save towards your next deposit and sign a repayment agreement
- agree to inform the scheme of any changes in your circumstances
- agree to inform us of any problems arising in your tenancy or property
- agree to housing benefit being paid direct to the landlord
- agree to repay any money due from a claim made against the bond scheme by your landlord
- not be in arrears to any other housing provider
- not be subject to an Anti-Social Behaviour Order
- not owe monies to the scheme