View support and services on offer for people with physical disabilities.

The Adult Disability Social Work Team based at Albert Road provides a social work service to younger adults who have serious and complex physical disabilities such as multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, spinal injuries, motor neurone disease or head injuries.

How we can help

Our aim is to provide services which make you as independent as possible in your own home.  We can also help if you need permanent residential or nursing care, or if you need to give your main carer a short break.

We provide:

  • an assessment of your needs by a social worker
  • an assessment which also takes into account the needs of carers
  • advice and support where appropriate
  • personal care at home, day care and respite care to give you or your carer a break (following an assessment).

We work closely with local hospitals and community health teams and in many cases our assessments will form part of an overall assessment of your needs provided by occupational therapists, physiotherapists and others.

We also work with the Community Rehabilitation Services as part of their multi-disciplinary team providing a rehabilitation programme for people with brain injuries and multiple sclerosis.

Other sources of help

A range of national charities and other organisations are on hand to offer help and support to adults with learning disabilities, including the Multiple Sclerosis Society, Scope, brain injury charity Headway, the Stroke Association, the Huntington's Disease Association, Support Dogs, Independent Living Funds and the Department of Work and Pensions, which offers Disability Living Allowances.

You may also be interested in the Disabled Living Foundation, a national charity that provides free, impartial advice about all types of daily living equipment. It has also launched the Living Made Easy website, which consists of impartial advice and information for older and disabled people, carers and care professionals providing clear, practical advice on daily living equipment.

Please note that clicking these links will take you away from the city council website.

Contact us

Physical and sensory: 01902 553653
Learning and disability: 01902 556780
Textphone: 01902 553677
Fax: 01902 553643

Action for Independence
Albert Road

Please note that the office is not open to the public except by appointment.