The information provided below is for anyone who suffers from a traveller incursion and seeks help.

Private land owners are responsible for the removal of unauthorised encampments on their land. Being the victim of unauthorised access onto private land can be both a major nuisance as well as a costly experience, particularly in having to clear up any waste that is usually left behind. The site protection measures below will not guarantee unauthorised access, but will make privately owned land less inviting:

Mounding: Mounds and/or ditches make it difficult for a vehicle and trailer/caravan to gain access without risking damage to the vehicles. They can also help in limiting joy-riders vehicles' being abandoned on land.  Mounds are generally formed using rubble/subsoil as a base, with a suitable topsoil finish for either grass seeding/planting.

Gates: A strong, robust gate will help deter access. The gate will need to be able to be secured with a toughened padlock. Metal gates/barriers are more desirable than wooden gates.

Height Barrier: Toughened steel padlocks and 'boxing' in the connection will make it more difficult for access to be gained. If this is coupled with a metal field gate it will also help to restrict access for joy-riders etc.

Fencing/Barriers: There are many different types of fencing available. The most robust is steel palisade. Euroguard fencing is also a strong barrier. Wooden close-board fencing generally looks better but is more vulnerable to damage and vandalism. The local Planning Authority should be consulted on this type of fencing before going ahead with construction.  A secured height barrier will restrict access to vehicles over 1.8m high and care should always be taken to ensure barriers are secured as intended.  Using wooden / metal / concrete posts will deter informal access but will not be sufficient to deter those more intent on gaining access. 

FAQs to deal with incursions on private land

Travellers are coming onto my property, what can I do to stop them?
Unfortunately there is little you can do to stop them coming onto your land unless you can obstruct the entry point.  Applying the counter measures outlined above will help deter future incursions.

The travellers are aggressive and threatening, what can I do?
It is advisable to contact the police who will be available to stop any breach of the peace and possibly consider using Section 61 Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (CJPOA) to evict in the right circumstances.

Who is responsible for getting the travellers removed from my land?
As the landowner, you are responsible.

What legislation can I use to remove the travellers from my property?
It is advisable to speak to your solicitor but Common Law/Part 55 Civil Procedures Rules can be utilised.

Where can I get some advice on how to deal with the travellers?
Contact the council on 01902 551155.

My business is being affected by the traveller encampment, what can I do?
Contact the council on 01902 551155 for advice.

How can the police help?
If you would like further information or advice from the police about traveller incursions please call 101 - the police non-emergency number. If you feel threatened or require immediate assistance ring 999.

Can I employ a company to assist in removing the travellers?
Please speak to your solicitor about this. You may be able to employ bailiffs to assist you with removing the travellers.

The travellers have vacated my land but left a lot of mess, whose responsibility is it to get it removed?
As the landowner you are responsible for the removal of any waste.

Who can remove the waste left by the travellers?
Any licensed waste contractor can remove the waste

Are there any authorised gypsy transit sites or temporary stopping places locally?
There are currently transit sites at Boulton Road, Smethwick and Proctor Street in Nechells, Birmingham.

Dudley’s Budden Road site is due to open in August 2020 and work is due to start at our site in Gorsebrook Road in September, with an opening date of January 2021.