you must register a death within 5 days, unless the coroner is investigating the cause of death. An appointment will be required to register.

There is no "original" death certificate. If you need certified copies of the register entry, to deal with the estate of the deceased, you are able to purchase these from the registrar at your appointment.

If you don't buy enough certificates at the appointment, you can still buy further copies at a later date, these will cost more than if purchased at the appointment.


Death Registration Certificates are £11.00 plus an admin fee of £5. This charge is regardless of when the certificate is issued

If details are recorded inaccurately, there is a charge £75 or £90 depending on the error.

Who can register a death?

You can register a death if you are:

  • a relative of the deceased

or if there are no relatives

  • someone who was present at the death
  • the occupier of the premises where the death occurred (if the occupier is aware)
  • the person arranging the funeral
Where should a death be registered?

You must register a death in the district where the death occurred. If it occurred within Wolverhampton, you will need to make an appointment to register with us.

  • If a death happens at New Cross hospital, you can register when you collect the Medical Certificate. Staff from NHS Bereavement Services will contact you to make these arrangements
  • If a death happens anywhere else in Wolverhampton, you should register at the Register Office. Please call 01902 551234 to make an appointment.

If you can't travel to register in Wolverhampton, make a declaration at your local Register Office.

They will send the declaration to the district where the person died. That Register Office will complete the registration and post out any required certificates.

Your appointment

To book an appointment, please call us on 01902 551234

  • Monday to Thursday - 9am to 5pm
  • Friday - 9am to 4:30pm

Please note: you can't make an appointment until:

  • a signed Medical Cause of Death certificate is available for issue


  • the coroner has completed their investigation
What to bring to your appointment

You must bring:

  • the medical certificate issued by the certifying doctor (unless there is to be an investigation).
  • identification for the deceased,
  • identification for the person registering the death

At the appointment the registrar will ask the following relating to the deceased:

  • the date and place of their birth
  • their occupation
  • if they were married, then the name and occupation of their spouse
  • their maiden surname (if applicable)
  • their usual address
  • their NHS number
  • the name and address of the person registering the death

Tell Us Once

You may need to tell several government departments of the death.

'Tell Us Once' is a free and voluntary service that is there to save you time. It allows the registrar to pass on information to the relevant departments. If you would like to use this service bring the following information to the appointment:

  • the deceased's national insurance number
  • the national insurance number of:
  • the deceased's surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • OR
  • next of kin's national insurance number
  • next of kin's name, address and telephone number
  • information about any benefits and services the deceased were receiving
  • name and address of the person dealing with the deceased's estate (if different)
  • driving licence (if held), or driver number if licence not available
  • passport (if held) or passport number if passport not available
  • blue badge (if held)
  • concessionary travel pass (if held)

If you're missing any of this information for the appointment, you can still use the service later by telephone. The registrar will give you a unique reference number and a telephone number to call.

If you aren't the next of kin or person dealing with the estate, you will need their permission to use the service.

You will receive a 'Tell Us Once' letter at the end of the registration listing the services that have been informed of the death.

Post Mortems and Inquests

Post Mortem

If there's a Post Mortem, the Coroner will issue the Cause of Death Certificate straight to the Register Office. They will then notify the family to book a death registration appointment.

The Hospital or GP will not issue a certificate.


If an Inquest is being held as part of a Judicial Inquiry relatives of the deceased can't register the death.

The Coroner will issue an Interim Death Certificate. This allows the family to proceed with the funeral.

Once the inquest has finished, the corner will instruct the Register Office to register the death without the family being present.