Search site

Do I need Listed Buildings Consent?

Find out if you need consent and apply online.

If you wish to alter or extend a statutorily Listed Building in a manner which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest, or carry out any demolition works, you will need to apply for Listed Building Consent. This applies to internal as well as external works and also can apply to other structures which are part of the property such a boundary walls and outbuildings..

Apply online for Listed Buildings Consent. This link opens in a new browser window
Apply online for Listed Buildings Consent.

Apply by post

Download forms from the Planning Portal or obtain paper copies from the Council. You can also hand in your completed application to the planning department located at reception 24 on the second floor of the Civic Centre.


There is no fee for an application for Listed Building Consent.

Planning permission

The development that you propose may require planning permission.

If the listed building is a dwellinghouse you can use the Planning Portal's interactive guidance for householders to find out if you need to apply for planning permission.

Contact us

If you are still unsure about whether you need to apply for planning permission, contact the planning department.