A new team to deal with anti-social behaviour has been formed thanks to a partnership between Wolverhampton City Council and Wolverhampton Homes.

The unit will enable residents across the city to report incidents that occur in their neighbourhoods by calling one citywide hotline telephone number.

The new team will be working with local people, local policing teams, councillors and other agencies to deal with instances of anti-social behaviour.

In the past, Wolverhampton Homes had been responsible for dealing with reports of anti-social behaviour from council tenants whilst the city council dealt with reports from private residents and incidents in the city centre. But from now on, one team will deal with all cases.

The new city-wide approach is also being backed by the West Midlands' Police and Crime Commissioner, Bob Jones - who today met the city's new ASB Team. He said: "Tackling anti-social behaviour is a really important issue and I'm pleased to see that reporting it in Wolverhampton is becoming more straightforward and easier for people to do. I hope this will encourage, and give people in the city the confidence, to come forward and report problems and help the authorities to make the city a safe place to be".

Councillor Elias Mattu,Wolverhampton City Council's Cabinet Member for Leisure and Communities, added:"We are committed to ensuring our city remains a safe place for all residents. This new unit provides a clear, single point of contact that will provide extra reassurance for everyone."

Mark Henderson, Director of Housing at Wolverhampton Homes is hopeful that the new service will make it easier and more straightforward for people to report anti-social behaviour. He said: "This new approach should make it a lot easier for people to report cases of anti-social behaviour. We all want to help make our city a safer place to be and hopefully the city-wide team will play a big part in helping us do that".

Anyone wanting to report anti-social behaviour can do so by calling 01902 551188.

If members of the public need a police response, they should call 101. In emergencies, people should call 999.

  • released: Friday 31 May, 2013