The Mayor of Wolverhampton has spoken out against "deplorable acts of vandalism" after the city's war memorial was targeted for the second time in less than a week.

Type=image;ImageID=4920;ImageClass=left;ImageTitle=Cenotaph which has been vandalised twice in less than a week;TitleClass=strong;

The latest attack happened last night and saw a floodlight which illuminates the Cenotaph ripped out of the ground.

Two ground level floodlights, which are mounted in concrete, are used to illuminate the Cenotaph at night. The vandals appear to have used some sort of tool to prize out one of the lights - leaving a 240v electricity connection exposed and putting public safety at risk. The site has now been made safe.

It could not have happened at a more sensitive time - coinciding with the 100th anniversary of Britain joining the First World War.

It follows an incident last week when vandals used marker pen to cover the steps which lead down to the memorial in graffiti.

The Mayor, Councillor Mike Heap, visited the Cenotaph this afternoon to see the vandalism for himself.

He said: "Vandalising a war memorial at any time is sickening and disrespectful, but to do so at a time when the country is commemorating the 100th anniversary of the First World War is all the more shocking.

"These are deplorable acts of vandalism and it has to stop. The Cenotaph honours the people of Wolverhampton who gave their lives fighting for our country and our freedom. I would urge anyone with any information about who is doing this to contact the police immediately by phoning 101."

The city council is in discussions with West Midlands Police about how security can be increased at the Cenotaph. A CCTV camera on the roof of the Civic Centre is monitoring the site and the possibility of installing a camera closer to the memorial is also being considered.

Cleaning up and repairing the damage from the attacks will be expensive for taxpayers. Last week's graffiti will require a specialist contractor to clean it off because the marker pen that was used absorbed into the sandstone that the steps are made from. This meant that the council's usual method for removing graffiti - chemicals and a jet wash - has not been able to get rid of it all.

The floodlight is being checked for damage and will be restored to working order as soon as possible.

  • released: Tuesday 5 August, 2014