Includes fees and what you need to do.

Do I need a permit?

Minibus permits for voluntary and non-profit making organisations are issued by the Department for Transport. Information how to apply is available from the DVLA.

What legislation applies?

What are the conditions of the licence?

Minibus permits are only for non-profit organisations.

If a profit making company wants to operate a minibus they can only operate as a private hire operator for up to 8 passengers (private hire driver and vehicle licence required.)

If the vehicle is for more than 8 passengers it must be licensed as a public service vehicle (PSV) which is licensed by VOSA.

How will my application be determined?

The Permit is granted, subject to the completion of an application form and the applicant satisfying the Local Authority of their suitability and qualifications.

How much will it cost?

Initial £25
Renewal £25
Replacement £25

How do I apply?

Apply online

You cannot currently apply and pay for your licence online.

Application form

To download an Application for a Minibus Permit. please see the Downloads section

Do I need to provide further information or evidence?

Returning your application

You will need to make an appointment to submit your application form. To do this contact us at the points below. You will be required to bring in the documents outlined in the application form.

How long will it take you to process my application?

We will then process your application and tell you the outcome within 28 working days

Contact us

You can enquire at the Civic Centre reception desk (14) from Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm and Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.

To find out more about Minibus Permits, contact us on:


Alternatively, please contact our Licensing Team providing as much information as you can to enable us to respond as quickly as possible.


Licensing Services
Regeneration and Environment
City of Wolverhampton Council
Civic Centre, St. Peter's Square