A temporary use notice allows premises to be used for gambling where there is no premises licence.

Premises that might be suitable for a gambling temporary use notice include:

  • hotels
  • conference centres
  • sporting venues.

We will only grant a temporary use notice to a person or company holding the relevant operating licence.

How to apply

Giving notice

The holder of the operating licence must give notice to us, specifying the:

  • gambling activity (gaming machines may not be made available under a TUN)
  • premises where the gambling will take place
  • dates and times the gambling will take place
  • any periods during the previous 12 months that a temporary use notice has been in place at the premises
  • date on which the notice is given.

The premises applied for must not have been subject to a temporary use notice for more than 21 days in any 12 month period, consisting of one or several temporary event notices.

When to apply

When applying for a temporary use notice, you must send your application at least 3 months and 1 day before the day on which the gambling event will begin.


The fee for a temporary use notice is £500.


To apply, download and complete the temporary use notice application form from the downloads section

Return the application form with the correct payment to the address below.

When making an application, you send copies to us and all responsible authorities.

The person giving notice must ensure that copies of the applications are received by the responsible authorities within 7 days of the date of the notice.

Granting the notice

If no objections are made within 14 days of your application for a temporary use notice, we will grant and return a valid notice.

You must tell us if the temporary use notices withdrawn at any time up to and during the time it is in effect.

If this should happen the notice will have no effect, and any unused period of time will not count towards the premises 21-day maximum limit.

Displaying the notice

While the gambling is taking place, you must prominently display the temporary event notice on the premises.

Contact us

Please contact Licensing, providing as much information as you can to enable us to respond as quickly as possible.

Or write to:

City of Wolverhampton Council
Civic Centre, St. Peter's Square