Support services for people to obtain or maintain their tenancy and to remain independent.
Floating support and outreach

Floating support services offer advice, information and guidance on all aspects of a tenancy to help individuals maintain their accommodation and independence.

What support is available?

  • help in setting up and maintaining a home or tenancy
  • developing domestic/life skills
  • developing links with your local community
  • advice, advocacy and liaison
  • help in managing finances and benefit claims
  • encouraging those in tenancies to abide by their agreements and to develop links in the local community
  • help in gaining access to other services
  • help in establishing personal safety and security
  • help in accessing purposeful activity such as voluntary work, education and employment
  • signposting to cultural and leisure services
  • help in finding other accommodation

Who offers floating support

The following organisations offer floating support. To access the service please contact them directly:

The process

Service users will have a named support worker who will work alongside them, towards a mutually agreed support plan for up to two years. The support will be tailored to the service users needs and they will receive regular support visits arranged to their convenience.

If the service user has a tenancy it does not matter if it is council, Housing Association or Private; Floating support is available to all tenures. If the service user doesn't have a tenancy, support is available to work towards accessing appropriate accommodation. If floating support isn't right for the service user, they will be signposted to relevant or specialist agencies as required.

Directory of housing support services

Many organisations are commissioned by the council to provide support for customer groups with particular needs.

Adults who are homeless

You should first of all contact the Homeless Service to see what options are available to you.

Some of these organisations provide emergency accommodation.

Young people who are homeless

You should first of all contact the Homeless Service to see what options are available to you.

Some of these organisations provide emergency accommodation.

People with learning disabilities
People fleeing violence and abuse
Young families
Offenders and ex-offenders
  • Wolverhampton Offender Accommodation Forum - Telephone: 01902 576072 / 07531 700077
  • Home Group Stonham - Telephone: 01902 420536
  • The Haven - 24 hour helpline 08000 194 400 or 01902 572140
People with physical and sensory disabilities
Tenancy Sustainment
People with mental health needs
  • City of Wolverhampton Council Housing Outreach Team - Telephone: 01902 555760
Older people
Help to improve your home

If you live in your own home, you may be entitled to various grants and assistance to help maintain your property.

Housing Support Strategies

The following documents give detailed information about the plans for the Housing Related Support programme and the key work priorities between 2010 and 2015.

Wolverhampton's Housing Support & Social Inclusion Strategy 2010 - 2015 sets out the priorities for the range of services funded through the Housing Related Support Programme.

Housing Allocations Policy - Revised October 2017

This document contains details of the scheme that Wolverhampton City Council uses in deciding between competing applicants for housing as required by s166A Housing Act 1996.

This Policy records collects and takes account of individual's needs and requirements in order to allocate housing to those that need it most.

This Policy does not discriminate against any person on the grounds of race, gender, sexuality, age, class, appearance, religion, responsibility for dependents, unrelated criminal activities, being HIV positive or with AIDS, or any other matter which causes a person to be treated with injustice.

You can view the Housing Allocation policy in the Downloads section of our Housing strategy, performance and policy page

view our Housing strategy, performance and policy page