Find helpful information about identifying domestic violence.
Domestic violence/abuse can include
- putting the person down or making the victim feel bad about themselves
- playing mind-games and making the person feel they are stupid or going mad
- enforced isolation from family or friends
- trying to keep the person from getting a job or making them give up work
- making the person ask for money or withholding money
- actual or threatened physical harm
- making another person do sexual things against their will
- making someone afraid by smashing things and destroying things
- making or carrying out threats to hurt someone emotionally - threatening to take the children away or commit suicide
- following the person, reading their texts and e-mails, checking their phone
Talk to someone
You may just want to talk to someone about your options and not make any changes at the moment.