Is the vehicle abandoned?
To help you decide if a vehicle has been abandoned in your area, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the vehicle untaxed?
- Are there any flat tyres or removed wheels?
- Is there litter around the car?
- Is the windscreen or any windows broken?
- Is the vehicle rusty or mouldy?
- Does the vehicle contain items of waste?
- Does the vehicle have number plates?
- Are there wires hanging from the dashboard?
- Are the brake disks rusty?
If you think still think the vehicle has been abandoned, report it to the council.
Fines and charges
Abandoning a vehicle is a criminal offence, carrying a maximum penalty of a fine of £2,500 or three months' imprisonment, or both.
Owners of abandoned vehicles are also liable for the following council costs:
- £150 vehicle removal
- £20 per day storage to a maximum of 40 days.