Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are payments for people on a low income who may need help towards the cost of their rent or council tax.

Question 1

Do you receive a Severe Disability Premium in a Legacy Benefit
  • Job Seekers Allowance (IB),
  • Employment and Support Allowance (IR),
  • Income Support,
  • Housing Benefit

Question 2

Do any of the following conditions apply?

Question 3

Do you receive one of the following?
  1. I live alone (or am classed as living alone)
  2. No one is in receipt of Carer’s Allowance or the UC Care Element for caring for me


Mixed Age Couples

A 'mixed-age couple' is where one is over the age for Pension Credit and the other is under.

Check state pension age.

From 15 May 2019, the age of the youngest member of a couple will determine whether they qualify for Housing Benefit and Pension Credit. In most cases this will mean the couple will need to claim Universal Credit instead.

Benefits Calculator

Make a Housing Benefit and or Council Tax Support claim

Universal Credit does not include help towards paying your Council Tax.  If you are on a low income and you wish to apply to reduce your Council Tax bill, please apply for Council Tax Support

Changes in circumstance