If you are a student and meet the following criteria you will be disregarded for council tax. If the property is occupied by only full-time students, no council tax is payable if you apply for an exemption.
- full-time students in higher education at a prescribed educational establishment undertaking study for at least 21 hours per week and 24 weeks per year
- full-time students under 20 years old in further education at a prescribed educational establishment undertaking study for at least 12 hours per week
- school leavers under 20 who finish a full-time course of education between 1 May and 31 October (this does not apply to students who take a year out or change courses)
- youth trainees under 25 years of age on a training scheme funded by the Learning & Skills Council
- student nurses on prescribed courses
- certain apprentices earning less than £195 per week
- foreign language students registered with the British Council
If you are a student please fill out the form below to apply.
Council Tax Student Exemption Certificate
For us to apply the discount we require a student certificate from the educational establishment you are attending, the certificate must provide the following information:
- The name of the course and qualification to be gained
- The name and address of the educational establishment
- The name of the student and student number
- The student’s address
- The hours of required study or mode of attendance
- Course start and end dates
- Name and signature of the administration officer
- The certificate must be dated within the current academic year.
In addition, please also confirm the names of persons 18 or over living at the property.
Youth Trainee or Apprentice
If you are an apprentice or youth trainee please download the Youth trainee & Apprentices pdf in the Downloads sections
Get your employer and training provider to complete it and then return it by post to:
Revenues and Benefits Service,
Wolverhampton City Council,
PO Box 250,
Or use our Youth Trainee or Apprentice form upload form