Discount for a single person household
The full council tax bill assumes there are two people aged 18 or over living in the property. But, if only a single person lives in the property then they will get a 25% reduction.
Discounts for households with more than one person
The council doesn't include certain groups of people when working out the size of a household. You could still get a 25% reduction.
For example, if two people live in the property but one is under 18, a 25% reduction would be due.
The council doesn't include the following people when working out the size of a household:
- Certain students
- school leavers under the age of 20
- full-time students
- student nurses on prescribed courses
- YTS trainees under the age of 25 on a course funded by the Learning and Skills Council
- People with severe mental impairment in receipt of certain disability and attendance allowances
- Long-term/permanent hospital patients
- Person in hospital or care home
- Residents in residential care homes,
- nursing homes
- mental nursing home/hostel
- Detained in prison or hospital under a Court Order, the Armed Forces Act 2006 or the Mental Health Act
- Certain care workers
- Members of visiting overseas forces
- Foreign diplomats with diplomatic immunity
- Members of religious communities