Information about charges made on an empty property or second home.

Empty property

There is no discount for an empty property.

100% council tax is payable from the date a property becomes empty and unfurnished for 2 years. This is regardless of any change in ownership.

Empty Homes Premium

If a property becomes empty and unfurnished for over 2 years the premium is 100% above the normal charge.

With effect from 01 April 2021:

  • Properties empty and unoccupied for up to 2 years = 0% discount (full charge)
  • Furnished properties and second homes = 0% discount (full charge)
  • Properties empty and unoccupied for 2-5 years = 200% charge (includes 100% empty property premium)
  • Properties empty and unoccupied for 5-10 years = 300% charge (includes 200% empty property premium)
  • Properties empty and unoccupied for more than 10 years = 400% charge (includes 300% empty property premium)

Help may be available to reduce these charges in certain circumstances shown below

Complete our online form if you think you may be eligible for one of the discounts or exemptions below:

  • Unoccupied properties owned by a charity
  • Unoccupied property where the previous liable person is deceased and no other person is liable.
  • Unoccupied property because of a legal prohibition
  • Unoccupied property but retained for a minister of religion
  • Unoccupied property and a mortgagee is in possession
  • Unoccupied property and a trustee in bankruptcy is liable
  • Unoccupied annexe of an occupied dwelling
  • Unoccupied property because the liable person is in detention

Job-related second home discount

If you have more than one property, we may have to decide which property is your main house. We may request further information to do this.

If your second home is job-related you may get a 50% discount. This is if your (or your spouse's) employment contract requires you to live in the property.

When applying for the discount, we will need a copy of your employment contract. If one of your properties is outside Wolverhampton, we need a copy of that property's council tax bill. Please apply for this discount below.

Uninhabitable properties and properties requiring structural repairs, or refurbishment

There is no discount or exemption for these properties and the full charge is payable. If the property is derelict and cannot be lived in, you may be able to get it removed from the Valuation List. You should make any further inquiries to the Valuation Office Agency.

While an appeal is being made you are still liable to pay the full amount of council tax on the demand. You need to keep paying the instalments to avoid court action. If the appeal is successful you will receive a refund.

Apply for an Empty property and second homes discount

Moving into, out of or within Wolverhampton

If you are moving into, out of or within Wolverhampton, complete our form to register your details.

Report Moving in