For further information please view our FAQs and our interactive example council tax bill.
I have not received my new council tax bill

Council Tax bills for the financial year starting on 1 April, are posted by 15 March to ensure sufficient notice is provided for the first instalment payable on 1 April.

A copy of this bill can be provided on request if you have not received it or you can sign up to see your council tax bill online.

Can I change my payment method, instalment plan, bank details on an existing direct debit or set up a new direct debit?

You can set up a direct debit online.

You can change your bank account details on your current direct debit by first cancelling the direct debit with your bank then completing a direct debit online form.

If you want to change to any other method of payment or change your instalment date, you need to call us on 01902 551166.

Please be aware that our phone lines will be extremely busy between March 9th and March 22nd.

Why have my instalment amounts/payments increased?

The council tax charges from April 2021 have increased. Details of these increases are shown on your bill.  Your instalments will have been changed to reflect this increase.

Why have the charges increased on my empty property?

The premium charged on properties that have been empty for over 2 years is 100% above the normal charge.  For properties that have been empty for 5 years or more, the premium has increased to 200% above the normal charge from 1st April 2020. This is to encourage property owners to bring the properties into use. Help may be available to reduce these charges in certain circumstances.

For more information, please view the 'Council Tax Charges on Empty Properties and Second Homes Policy' in the downloads section.

Can my balance (credit) be transferred from my previous year onto my new bill?

Any credit on your bill at the end of each financial year will automatically be used to reduce the payments you need to make for the new financial year's bill.

I am due a refund from my previous year, when will I receive this? Can I have a refund from my previous year's credit?

Any credit on your bill at the end of each financial year will automatically be used to reduce the payments you need to make for the new year's bill.  If you would rather receive a refund you can request this.

How much do I owe from my previous bill?

Any amount owed in respect of the previous year's bill will be shown as a balance brought forward on your new bill. Please take a look at our interactive version of a sample council tax bill.

Who is responsible for payment of Council Tax?

The first category of person which applies from the list below, is liable for payment of Council Tax:

1 - A resident owner (Owner Occupier)
2 - A resident with a leasehold interest in the property.
3 - A resident who has a tenancy to occupy the property.
4 - A resident who has a licence to occupy the property.
5 - A resident to which none of the above applies.
6 - If none of the above, the non-resident owner of the property is liable.

I think my Council Tax band is incorrect.
I have received my bill but my council tax support/discount has not been applied.

If you have a low income and have received council tax support that does not appear on your current bill, please contact Customer Services on 01902 551166 to check the status of this.

If you have previously received a discount that does not appear on your current bill please contact Customer Services on 01902 551166.

Do I need to set up my direct debit again or does it automatically rollover from last year?

There is no need to set up your direct debit again as it will automatically carry over.

Can my council tax arrears for which I already have set a payment plan be added to this year's bill.

Arrears and the current year's payments need to be paid separately. You need to maintain your arrears payments as set out in your original payment plan and those set out on your new bill. If you are having difficulty making both these payments please contact Customer Services as soon as possible on 01902 551166.