Repatriation of remains is transporting either a body or ashes between countries. If you need to do this, we have information about moving remains both to and from abroad.

From abroad

If a death occurs abroad, the death should be registered according to the local regulations of that country and a death certificate should be obtained.

To bring a body back to England or Wales you will need either the death certificate or an authorisation for the removal of the body.

Arranging a funeral

To arrange a funeral in England or Wales when the death occurred abroad you will need an authenticated translation of a death certificate showing the cause of death, and a certificate of No Liability to Register from the registrar in whose area it is intended to bury or cremate the deceased.

Arranging a cremation

To arrange a cremation in England and Wales when the death occurred abroad, a cremation order from the Ministry of Justice or a Form CR6 from the coroner will be required. If the death was from natural causes, the Ministry of Justice will require the following documentation:

  • application for cremation 
  • all original documentation from the country where the death occurred
  • translation of documents if necessary

If the death was not natural it will be referred to the coroner who will open an inquest to investigate the cause and circumstances of death and issue a Form CR6.

To abroad

Some countries require a Cadaver Certificate before they will allow a body into the country for burial.

The certificate, if issued, confirms that no epidemic of infectious disease occurred in the borough for some three months preceding the death.

Cadaver certificates

The formality of obtaining the cadaver certificate is usually handled by the undertaker, making the arrangements on behalf of the relatives however, anyone can apply.

The certificate is issued by one of our Environmental Health Officers in whose area the person died or is to be exhumed from before reburial elsewhere

For more information

If you require further information or assistance, please contact us.