What information we need from you in order to work out your claim quicker.

Please note: we need to see original documents. If you bring your documents in to us we can copy them free of charge and give them back to you straightaway.

Proof of identity and National Insurance Number

If you are making a new claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, you will have to provide proof of your identity, and that of your partner (if you have a partner).

You will also have to supply us with your (and your partner's) National Insurance Number. Everyone claiming Benefit has to do this to help prevent fraud.

Proof of identity

We will need to see two items for both you and your partner, one of which must be from the first list, the second from either list:

List 1

  • Birth certificate (not certified copy), marriage certificate (not certified copy), Civil Partnership Certificate (not certified copy), divorce, separation or annulment papers (in your current name)
  • Passport (must be current and valid) or national Identity Card
  • Home Office standard acknowledgement letter (SAL1 or SAL2) 
  • Valid UK residence permit
  • Full Driving Licence 
  • Adoption certificate
  • Certificate of Employment HM forces or the Merchant Navy
  • Taxi Drivers Licence
  • Medical card

List 2 

  • Bank or Building Society Statements
  • Cheque card, credit card, debit card or cash card
  • A letter addressed to you from a solicitor, social worker, probation officer, doctor or Her Majesty's Revenues and Customs (the Inland Revenue) 
  • Life Insurance policies in your name
  • Wage slips from your current employer
  • Current DWP Benefit or Pension letter
  • Birth Certificate (certified copy)
  • Gas, electricity, water or phone bill (not mobile phone) - must be in your name and recent (in last three months)

Proof of your National Insurance Number can be any one of these

  • National Insurance Number card
  • P45 or P60
  • Letter from the Inland revenue about tax or tax credits
  • A DWP letter which  contains your National Insurance number
  • Bank statements showing payments by direct debit of class 2 National Insurance contributions

Proof of income and capital might be any of the following

  • Such as all your bank, building society or post office books, full bank statements certificates for premium and other bonds, National Savings certificates, ISAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts. We need to see evidence of any interest or dividends you get on investments and savings. The evidence you send must show details for at least the last two months.  
  • Your latest letter telling you how much Benefit you are going to get from DWP (not Housing or Council Tax Benefit)
  • Evidence of earnings (which we also need to see for all adults living in your home). This means the last 5 payslips if you are paid every week, your last 3 payslips if you are paid every 2 weeks, or your last 2 payslips if you are paid every month. We will contact your employer if you do not have these payslips. If you or your partner are self-employed, we need to see your accounts for the last financial year or, if you have been trading for less than 6 months, a summary of your trading record so far. 

Proof of rent can be any of the following

(Wolverhampton Homes tenants do not need to show us proof of their tenancy and rent)

  • Tenancy agreement
  • Rent book
  • Letter from landlord
  • Letter from agent 

Any of these must show -

  • Full name and address of the owner of the property
  • Full name and address of the agent (if applicable)
  • Date the agreement started
  • The amount of rent, and how often you have to pay
  • Details of anything included in the rent - this may be heating, lighting, cleaning, water rates, meals, personal care and attention, counselling and support
  • How often your rent is due

Other information we need

We will need to see proof of your income, savings, rent and tenancy. (Wolverhampton Homes tenants do not have to show us proof of their tenancy and rent) 

If you know what we need to see (you may know because you have claimed Benefit before), you can send it to us with your application form,  but if you don't, we will contact you to ask for what we need to see to make sure you get the right amount of Benefit/Reduction.

What should I do if I don't have everything you need?

If you don't have all the proof, don't wait until you have got it, send us the form straight away. If you don't we may not be able to pay you as far back as we could.