Search site

Register a marriage

If you want to get married in England or Wales you must register your intention to marry or enter a civil partnership at your local register office.

How do I give notice?

You can give notice from 12 months before the date of the marriage, up until 29 days before.

You must both have lived in England or Wales for seven full days immediately before either of you give notice. It doesn't matter if either of you moves to a different address once you have given notice. Notice must be given at the register office in the district where you have resided for 7 full days prior to your appointment. 

If you live in the district of Wolverhampton, you will need to make an appointment to give notice with us. Please call us on 01902 554989 to make an appointment, our lines are open between 9am and 5pm Monday - Thursday, and 9am and 4:30pm on Fridays.

Appointments are available between the following times:

Tuesday 8.45am - 4pm
Wednesday 8.45am - 4pm
Thursday 8.45 - 7pm
Saturday 9am - 1pm  (Limited availability)

The local authority charge an administration fee for notice appointments that are outside of the usual operating hours. Therefore appointments that are after 4pm, or at any time on a Saturday will incur an administration fee of £30 which is taken by credit or debit card when making the booking.

If either partner is not a citizen of the EEA or Switzerland and wishes to get married in the UK, then you will both need to give notice at a designated register office.

How much does it cost?

All notice appointments have a £15 booking fee to be taken at the point of booking (£30 for outside usual operating hours).

The registration is £35 each (£70 per couple) payable to the Superintendent Registrar at the time of your appointment.

What will I need to bring?

You need to be able to prove your identity with the following.

  • A valid Passport or;
  • Birth Certificate

If you're born after 1983 and do not hold a valid UK passport, you will need your full birth certificate and your mother's birth certificate.

You will also need to supply proof of your address by providing one of the following documents, which must also show your full name:

  • Valid driving licence.
  • Utility bill: Dated no more than 3 months before the date on which notice is given.
  • Bank or building society statement or passbook: Dated no more than 1 month before the date on which notice is given.
  • Council tax bill: Dated no more than 1 year before the date on which notice is given.
  • Mortgage statement: Dated no more than 1 year before the date on which notice is given.
  • Current residential tenancy agreement.
  • Letter from the owner of the address where you live. This letter must have the owner's full name, address and signature. It must also state that you've lived at the address for 9 days or more.

If either of you have been married or entered a civil partnership before, you will also need:

  • Proof of the termination of your previous marriage or civil partnership by death, divorce or nullity.
  • If your divorce papers have not been issued in England or Wales we will need to see the original divorce document and a translation. A statutory fee of £75.00 is payable for the verification of each foreign divorce document supplied at the appointment, and there may also be a delay in issuing the authority for marriage due to the additional checks that are completed.

If either of you have changed your name legally before such as through deed poll or a solicitor, you will also need:

  • Proof of name change.

If either of you are under 18, you will also need:

  • Proof that your parents (or legal guardians) agree to the marriage.
  • If your parents are divorced we may need to see the court order that gives custody to one of your parents. The Registrar can help with this.

Please note: If you intend to marry in the Church of England you will need to see your local vicar who will arrange for the Banns of Marriage to be published.