Search site

We are in the process of developing a new and improved Local Offer website - this will be available shortly.

SEND - Education, Health and Care Plans

All requests for statutory assessment in Wolverhampton will be dealt with under new legislation, subject to informed parental consent.

Education, Health and Care Plans leaflet
Education, Health and Care Plans leaflet
Find out about Education, Health and Care Plans by reading this leaflet from the Information, Advice and Support Service.

SEN Support and Education, Health and Care Plans - Guidance on the levels of difficulty and provision expected for Settings/Schools/Colleges and Post 16 providers with reference to the SEND Code of Practice (July 2014) and the School Funding Reform (April 2013).

The Council for Disabled Children (CDC) in partnership with the Department for Education has produced a series of fact sheets, films and posters designed to help children and young people understand some of the key themes of the new SEND reforms.

What is an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan?

From 1 September 2014, Statements were replaced by Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans. These plans have the same legal status as Statements of SEN and cover the age range 0 to 25. An Education, Health and Care Plan sets out a new way of working for children and young people with more complex special educational needs and disabilities and where an EHC needs assessment has been agreed by a multi-agency panel. As part of an EHC Plan, a child's parent or the young person will have the right to request a Personal Budget to meet an assessed need within an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan).

An EHC Plan looks at all the aspirations and needs that a child or young person has within education, health and care. Professionals and the family together through a coordinated single assessment decide what outcomes are required, and through joint working identify what is needed to achieve those outcomes.

EHC Plans must be reviewed at least annually. Reviews should be carried out using person-centred planning principles and must focus on the child or young person's progress towards achieving the outcomes specified in the EHC Plan.

The provision set out in the EHC Plan has to be provided. Parents have the right of appeal to a tribunal if they are not happy with the education provision.

Transition from Statement of SEN to an Education, Health and Care Plan

Statements that currently exist remain valid but will gradually be transferred to EHC Plans over the period to March 2018. These transfers will usually take place at key transition points. Many young people over the age of 16 currently have Learning Disability Assessments (LDA). LDAs will also be replaced by EHC Plans, but over a shorter two year timescale. An EHC Plan for a 19 to 25 year old may be required if the young person remains in education or training and specific educational provision is still required. Our pdf icon Revised Guidance on the LAs Transition to the New System - Sept 2017 [640kb] document sets out the plan for transition of children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) to the new system.

What does an EHC Plan look like?

Every EHC Plan is personalised to meet the needs and outcomes for each child or young person. Our pdf icon blank template of an EHC Plan [681kb] will give you an idea of what the plan looks like.

How do I request an EHC Assessment?

In the first instance you should talk to the special educational needs co-ordinator or keyworker if you think your child or young person requires an EHC needs assessment or if you think your child has:

  • severe and/ or complex long term needs that affect everyday life
  • requires provision and resources that are not normally available within an education setting
  • requires intensive help and support from more than one agency, and
  • despite high levels of 'SEN Support' is making limited or no progress

Local Offer Can't find what you're looking for?
Local Offer Can't find what you're looking for?
Parents or a young person (over the age of 16) can also make a referral for an EHC needs assessment.


Contact us...

For news, events and information for local families where a child has additional needs, please visit the Wolverhampton Information, Advice & Support Service website: