Search site

We are improving your online experience and trialling a new home page. Take a look!

Special Educational Needs Statutory Assessment and Review Team (SENSTART)

Find out how the SEN service can help can help meet your child's needs.

What we do?

  • statutory (single) assessment of children and young people (from birth and up to 25 years) special educational, health and care needs. SENSTART asked parents/carers and young people to participate in a satisfaction survey to rate their experience of the Education, Health and Care needs assessment process and this is what they told us: pdf icon SEND Parental and Young People Satisfaction Survey January 2017 [210kb]
  • place children and young people (from birth and up to 25 years) with Statements of Special Educational Needs/ Education, Health and Care Plans in educational provision
  • review and monitor provision and outcomes set out in a Statement of Special Educational Need/Education, Health and Care Plan

Who can request an assessment?

Any professional working with a child, young person or family can make a referral to the authority for an Education, Health and Care Assessment. It is usual for referrals to come from the child/young person's educational provider.

A parent/young person (over the age of 16) can make a direct request for an Education, Health and Care Assessment. However, we recommend that they speak to the young person's teacher or Special Needs Coordinator (SENCo) first as they will be able to help you.

Two new short animations aimed at parents to help explain the EHCP process and the Person Centred Connection

What is an education, health and social care plan and who is it for?

The education and social care plan and the person centred connection

Contact us

Telephone: 01902 555961

Civic Centre, 1st Floor
St Peter's Square