Search site

Register your food business

It is a legal requirement to register your food selling business. Register your food business online.

You must register your premises with us at least 28 days before opening. Registration is free.

Do I need to register my business?

Registration applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans. If you use 2 or more premises, you will need to register all of them.

If food premises are used by several catering businesses, for example, a community hall or conference centre, the person who allows the premises to be used for this purpose is responsible for registering them.

How to register

Register a food premises online This link opens in a new browser window
Register a food premises online

pdf icon Application Form - Register A Food Business [52kb]

What else do I need to do?

Before opening, contact us to organise waste and recycling collection and get appropriate training and tools - it could cost you more money if don't.

You might need to register with HM Revenue and Customs as self-employed and/or register for Valued Added Tax (VAT). These registration processes are completely separate from registering your food premises.

You will need to pay business rates on most premises and licences for certain activities, such as selling or supplying alcohol or selling hot food between 11pm and 5am.

Checklist for a new food businesses

  • have you registered your premises?
  • do the design and construction of your premises meet legal requirement?
  • have you put food safety management procedures in place and are you keeping up-to-date records of these?
  • do you and your staff understand the principles of good food hygiene?
  • have you considered health and safety and fire safety arrangements?
  • have you registered as self-employed?
  • do you need to register for VAT?
  • are you keeping records of all your business income and expenses?
  • are you keeping records of your employees' pay and do you know how to pay their tax and National Insurance contributions?
  • do you describe food and drink accurately?
  • do you need to apply for a licence to sell alcohol, for entertainment, for selling hot food and drink late at night, or selling food on the street?

Further information

Contact us

To find out more about food safety and standards:


Environmental Health (Commercial)
Regulatory Services, Education and Enterprise
City of Wolverhampton Council
Civic Centre
St. Peter's Square